What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camlocks on wheelpants

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I think putting camlocks between the wheelpant front and rear sections might be a good idea. Instead of removing all those screws some camlocks would make it faster to remove the front half to be able to check air pressure, tire condition, and everything in that area.

Faster and easier to remove makes it so we'd check that area more often instead of once a year during Condition Inspections.

Has anyone used camlocks down there? Is the fiberglass too thin for camlocks or would it be an easy retrofit?

Yes, it has been done by someone here on VAF......I just can't remember who it was.

Jim Winings had them on RV4

They were really nice. Rocket Bob and other Indy guys can probably supply some details.

Skybolts

500 hours & 400+ landings.
The skybolts are smaller than the ones used for the cowl :

73897-BE0-AAD3-4-A22-9-C48-723-E3-ED9620-B.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

Those look awesome. Any way you could find out what size or model or part number they are? I've always bought camlocks for Standard category aircraft so they have a part number to go by. I wouldn't know what size to buy for this. I checked Aircraft Spruce and there are about a dozen different sizes in just one model ! If you can get a link that would be even better. Thanks !!

Last edited:
Yes have done it works great.

Do you remember what size or model or part number they are? I'm about to place an order with Aircraft Spruce and wouldn't mind adding those now while the wheelpants are off for condition inspection.

2000 series CLoc's with adjustable receptacles from Skybolt. I put three on outside, two inside, none above the tire. Custom bracket so the screws holding the aft half of the wheelpant attach with two #10 flush screws so one doesn't have to mess with that to get to the tire stem.

Old pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/739uiCGsUcvSLZ3G8

Bought mine directly from skybolt. My info is at the hangar. Will post details this weekend, unless someone else does first.

Part #s

Skybolt.com. Search these part #s. I just did, and they are there.
28S3-2S = stud only
28S3-SET1 = stud, retainer & receptacle. But do not use retainer. Damage may result mounting or separating parts.

For the mains I put 9 in front half and 4 in the back.
Nose wheel 14 total. 8 in the back and 6 in the front.
I built mine with the 1? top of tire clearance per plans. Have had NO conflict with tires. I did reinforce the receptacle mounting positions on the inside with extra fiberglass.

Skybolt.com. Search these part #s. I just did, and they are there.
28S3-2S = stud only
28S3-SET1 = stud, retainer & receptacle. But do not use retainer. Damage may result mounting or separating parts.

For the mains I put 9 in front half and 4 in the back.
Nose wheel 14 total. 8 in the back and 6 in the front.
I built mine with the 1” top of tire clearance per plans. Have had NO conflict with tires. I did reinforce the receptacle mounting positions on the inside with extra fiberglass.

Thank you. Your PM is full. Found the stud alone but when I enter 28S3-SET1 it comes back as not found.

Last edited:
Ooops, I did the search on Aircraft Spruce and not on Skybolt.com. That's why I was getting the stud but nothing on the set. Found it all now, thanks !!

Last edited:
Back