What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build Wings & Fuselage - what next?

AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
I took delivery over the weekend of my QB wings and fuselage for the RV-10. I'm still finishing up the tail, so I haven't unpacked everything yet, but the plans / instructions that I've found are the full set, as if I was doing the full build.

I know Van's has some QB specific instructions on their website for the RV-14, but I didn't see anything like that for the -10.

Briefly looking over the wings and especially the fuselage, it appears that some rivets are missing from rows that were done at the factory, or maybe that is intentional and I'm supposed to do them later.

When I wrap up the tail, hopefully by this weekend, is there any advice for how I start working on these QB sections? My gut tells me that I should simply walk through every single step in the manual and confirm that each thing has been done, assuming I can see the work and it isn't inside something else / blocked. I know Van's inspects the QBs before shipping, but I'm sure I should "Trust but verify".

Is there any other advice people have? Or am I on the right track by simply visually confirming that every single step has been accomplished before I start my tasks?

My gut tells me that I should simply walk through every single step in the manual and confirm that each thing has been done,

Bingo, you'll need to walk through the plans. There are some other threads that outline where people generally found where to start, but you do want to verify each step.

I found this post to be pretty accurate as what you should expect to not be done: http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-rv-10-quickbuild-details-and.html

They leave out rivets in places where you might want to deviate from plans, pretty helpful.

Make sure you go through each and every step marked "standard kit" instructions when you're working on it. I let me guard drop in the baggage area because I figured I inspected the quick build already and had a list of all the steps I needed to complete so I skipped all the steps that are marked "standard kit". Turns out I didn't look at every step in the baggage area in my initial inspection because it was marked as to be completed by builder. The F-1023B baggage angle is now riveted on with LP4-3's instead of CS4-4s. Not the end of the world... but still.

Last edited:
also...

Check the rivets on the vertical part of the door jamb. The rivets are supposed to be AN426 flush rivets; mine were AN470 button head. The cabin top will not fit if the button head rivets are there.

It was no problem to drill out the offending rivets and replace with AN426...

Realizing the rivets were wrong was the difficult part...

Check everything, as others noted. I found my QB fuel tanks attached with bolts that were one size too long - with a stack of washers under the head to compensate. I can only guess the QB guys ran out of the right bolts.

I found some areas where the QB folks installed pulled rivets where solid rivets are called out. Turned out these pulled rivets were just to hold it together during transport, and needed to be drilled out for continued construction. They don't mention this in the plans, so be careful when checking the work against the plans to check that the correct rivets have been used. And in areas where they haven't, be prepared to drill them out and install new rivets when you get to that step in the instructions.

Enjoy the build.

One of the more obscure things I found (and others too, I think) and isn't mentioned in Justin's blog above, was the trimming of F-10102A&B (Baggage door seal angle)
Step 6 on page 29-6 wasn't done. Wasn't too bad using a dremel tool and cutting wheel to trim that angle after it was in place.

Back