What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B/Transponder Recomendations

Clarkie

Well Known Member
Getting ready to do the panel over in the -6 and want ADS in/out capability. Our plan is dual AFS-4500s side-by-side, GTN-650, Icom backup radio, D-10 on co-pilot side and remote transponder.

What do you guys recommend for a remote transponder and ADS box?

When I poised that question to Stein for my GRT Sport he recommended one of the Trig Mode S transponders and either a Skyradar or FreeFlight box. Shot him an email or better yet call.

I've got the Skyradar D2 box and am using a Trig transponder and they work like a champ. I recommend them both. The Trig with input from your 650 will be 2020 compliant.

I too was going to go the NavWorx and 327 route but the 327 is not Mode S capable and come 2020 if I understand things correctly you will need a Mode S transponder and a certified WAAS GPS to be compliant within the system. Thats just how I understand things. My 327 will go on the market once I get the funds to replace it.

There's no requirement for Mode S transponder to be 2020 compliant.. since compliance can be achieved with an UAT (limitation is that it can only be used below 18,000 ft -- above that you need ES transponder).

2020 compliance is a tricky one right now since some of the combos mentioned are not compliant and it's looking uncertain that they ever will be. It'd suck to have to buy yet another "certified" GPS when you have 650 sitting in the panel.

You might consider that 2020 is a loooooong way away in terms of government changes, regulatory changes, and all the other changes that they seem to need to make to justify their paychecks. May be wise to wait until a lot closer to the deadline (if it stays the same) to see what is actually required and possibly prices for same will have come down a lot in 7 years, unless the requirements get worse - not impossible.....:rolleyes:
Just a thought.

At the rate that available funds for airplane stuff is coming my way I don't think anybody has to worry about me replacing my transponder anytime soon. I have at least three more years of college tuition to shell out for my kid. My only point being that the Trig transponders are Mode S and quite a bit less than Garmins Mode S models. If you have a good Garmin 327 you could sell it and the difference would make the Trig an even better deal.

Back