What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS Prop Overhaul

DickF

Hi Everyone,

I'm approaching the calendar time limit recommendation for an overhaul on my Hartzell propeller. I'm looking for comments and recommendations for a propeller shop you have used in the Dallas, TX area. Thanks

Best Prop Overhaul, know your Prop, ask Q's, shop around

Not all prop shops are the same but most are competent. By the way Hartzell WILL overhaul your prop. Obviously shipping is involved and the work my cost a little more coin-age than a local shop, but you will be sure of the quality. Although I would look local first.

First get to know your prop. What are the serial numbers and what has been done to it before, what AD's, SB, SL's are applicable, if any. This is critical in getting quotes. Some props, depending on vintage will need more/less work or inspections. Some older blades must be shot peened. Check, if your blade needs shot peening make sure the shop does this to Hartzells specifications.

Shop around and ask questions. I assume in our large city you will have more than one shop to choose from in the region. Going local has advantage in shipping, and if there is a problem your can get the warranty work covered easier. BTW what is their warranty policy, another question to ask.

The best place to start is Hartzells web site.

http://www.hartzellprop.com/product_support/index_support.htm

Click on "Ask Your Pop Shop" (these are crucial questions)

On the above link, on the left is a list of items. Click on Airworthiness & Service Document cross reference. The page comes up click the pull down menu for Propeller model: Scroll down to say HC-C2YK-1; Select Blade: say 7666 for example, check all boxes at bottom for AD, SB, SL, SI, SA. Now click SUBMIT. You can cut and past this list or print it out.

The above search shows all the info against your prop, SOME WILL APPLY AND SOME WILL NOT. AD's going back to 1964 will not apply to a new prop.

Do you have the Prop log book from last service/overhaul? If it was new and never rebuilt the age or date of manufacture is important. Hartzell recommends 6 YEAR 2400 HOUR TBO. I do know many go past this, at least in years. It is the same with engine TBO. I am not recommending or suggesting you do this, however a prop that is out of the weather and flown regularly but has not reached say the 2400 hour mark but has reached the 6 year mark, could be flown past the recommend TBO calender schedule. That is up to the pilot/operator/owner.

I would NOT hesitate to call Hartzell Customer support. (link above on left product contacts , email or phone) Like I said most shops are good, but some shops are the subject and named in AD's. HC may not recommend but they may "lead" you away from a shop?

Best advice shop around. Get the best price, warranty and look at the facilities. Ask questions of their customers, FBOs' and even give the BBB or Chamber of Commerce a call for complaints. Call Hartzell for their recommendation. They know the problem shops.

This is a big purchase and it is worth a few phone calls and local trips. I am guessing you will be best served by staying with a shop in your general area. You could send it out of state (sales tax advantage?), or may be a 3 hour drive or short flight to another city in TX would yield best service and/or price?

Good Luck George

Last edited:
Back