What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about the 3 most inboard 711 wing ribs attachment to rear spar.

morlino

Well Known Member
When I line the three 711 wing ribs that are under the wingwalk area up with the rear spar. It looks like the top and bottom holes in the spar line up with the top and bottom holes in the rib but the 2 holes in the middle do not line up.

It looks like I'm supposed to use the rear spar as a guide to drill 2 new holes in these 3 711 ribs and just abandon the holes that are pre-punched in the ribs.

You can kind of see it in this horribly blurry picture. Where the clecos are, the holes line up but the holes between the clecos don't line up.

2882__wing_skeleton-editied.jpg

If there is something about this in the instructions or the plans, I'm missing it. The instructions do explicitly mention needing to put some new holes in a few of the leading edge ribs on either side of the tie-down extrusion. I'm always hesitant to make new holes unless they specifically mention them in the instructions. Did anyone else encounter this? I didn't find anything when I searched for it.

Never mind

Somebody must have changed my instructions while I was posting;)

I went back and re-read them once more (for like the 50th time) and they do explicitly say to use the spar as a guide to drill new holes in the wing walk 711s and abandon the ones that are punched.

Isn't building (especially slow building) great fun? Oh, how I miss the satisfaction of simply figuring it out or otherwise blaming something on the gremlins that infest every work shop :).

I'm at the same stage of building. I just encountered the same alignment problem. The question I am asking myself at this point is if the edge distance for these new drilled holes in relation to the already existing hole is sufficient. They seem awefully close to holes in the 711 ribs that should be abandoned. Did anybody measure this when they did it ?

Back