What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hi Torque or Regular sky tec?

ezetom

My regular sky tec decided to chew up the ring gear on my io-360 this weekend... Ive never been really happy with its cranking performance.

Does anyone have any experience with the hi torque sky tec?

Cheers

Tom

Limited experience & happy

My regular sky tec decided to chew up the ring gear on my io-360 this weekend... Ive never been really happy with its cranking performance.

Does anyone have any experience with the hi torque sky tec?

Cheers

Tom
Have one on my O-360 (originally -J2A) in a 19 month-old RV-6A. The engine is from a Robinson R22 helicopter, with several 1,000 hrs, but don't know how long THIS SkyTec has been in service. There were 750 SMOH, and the SkyTec HT starter is (to my limited knowledge) the standard starter for R22. Using a PC-680 battery and very happy with cranking performance.

I think Smokey Ray has a re-purposed -J2A, too. Maybe he can provide more experience.

149-12HT

I had a 149-12HT starter for 450 hours on my 0-360 and liked it. Out of the blue last week, it gave up the ghost. I called Sky-tec (now Hartzell) and they were surprised to hear this. They said they don't get many calls about the HT units. After we talked more about mine, it was opened up and found it was trashed.

They will give you a $230 core credit for your starter, but as of today anyway, they said business was so good right now that they couldn't ship me one for another 3 weeks! So, I bit the bullet, bought another HT through Aircraft Spruce. I lost out on about $150 in between the ACS price and the rebate, but I couldn't wait 3 weeks for Hartzell to ship it....I would go crazy not having my airplane for that long. :D

I went ahead and ordered another regular unit, and as well a superior ring gear...

on closer inspection of the removed starter, it looks as though the main housing is cracked, and maybe that was what was causing the teeth to "jump" and trash the ring gear..

Not fun...

Cheers

Tom

Started out with Mark Landoll starter (Auto conversion) in 1993.
Changed out to SkyTec Hi-Torque in 1994 or '95. That same HT starter is still doing a great job today.

Back