What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder riveting..

Not sure why, but once the first skin when on with no trouble, now I'm seeing a bit of oil canning on the aircraft left side of my rudder...just about done riveting the spar line and I am unsure how to proceed...even with the clecos in, the rivets are a little off center (as in won't go in, had to do a quick drill through) and not even remotely sure how that happened. Thoughts?

Not sure why, but once the first skin when on with no trouble, now I'm seeing a bit of oil canning on the aircraft left side of my rudder...just about done riveting the spar line and I am unsure how to proceed...even with the clecos in, the rivets are a little off center (as in won't go in, had to do a quick drill through) and not even remotely sure how that happened. Thoughts?

Usually that means you have a part upside down or the left one on the right. If the holes don't easily align, that's always a red flag to stop and assess the situation.

Usually that means you have a part upside down or the left one on the right. If the holes don't easily align, that's always a red flag to stop and assess the situation.

Had the same issue, on the rudder to boot. I didn't do anything, just stopped and looked at stuff for a while. As he said, I had the stiffeners backwards. It's easy to do, as for some reason, what I see as the "front" of the rudder is actually the back. Double and triple check the plans. Then check again. It's saved me multiple times, and I'm only ~40 hrs in.

Back