What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lifepo

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
In an earlier post I asked about using this battery in the cockpit. I got no response. The obvious would be no but on the other hand statistics would say OK. I would still be interested in any opinions on this.
My question on this post is about the fireproof bags that are available all over for rc flyers for their unused/spent batteries. I am picturing a bag sized to an earthx and has a vent tube built into it. It see some the main issue is vented gas and this seems like a good battery box solution. I asked at the earth booth at Oshkosh but it didn't seem to catch any interest behind the counter.

My opinion

Not sure what you are trying to prevent with the bag. If you are tryin to contain the stuff when a battery lets go ( very rare with LIFEPO) then the bag wont help. If you are trying to contain a leak of electrolite from a cracked case, then maybe.

I dont believe in li batteries in the cockpit, but that is just me, so i have no other recommendations because I have no experience.

Ceramic Paper

Well if you're hinting about making your own bag, you can buy ceramic paper rolls from McMaster Carr. This stuff is used in furnace refactories. The rolls I used to buy were rated at 2900 deg C with 800deg/hour burn through.

Isn't too expensive for a small roll.

I used this stuff to make my own li-po/li-ion battery bags using stainless steel wire for thread.

After having experience with RC li-ion style batteries, no-way would I put them in an airplane.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

What purpose?

If you are talking about mounting a LiFe battery such as a EarthX or Shorai, I don't see that as a problem. The are different chemistry as the Lipo batteries used in consumer electronics.

As far as transporting a Lipo battery such as in your laptop, also not a problem. I have flown thousands of miles to RC contest with several Lipo batteries on board. Most of the issues with Lipo batteries occur during the charging process.

If concerned you could put them in an ammo can. Even a bag is unlikely to contain all of the fumes in the unlikely event of a spontaneous release.

I am picturing an earthx in some type of bag. I don't understand why a battery in an almost airtight container wouldn't have the gasses trapped and be vented overboard thru vent tubing

I really believe the risk of a problem is acceptably
Low but the bag would be a little insurance

I am picturing an earthx in some type of bag. I don't understand why a battery in an almost airtight container wouldn't have the gasses trapped and be vented overboard thru vent tubing

I really believe the risk of a problem is acceptably
Low but the bag would be a little insurance

Hi Bob,

We thank you for posting your concerns and I wanted to give you a heads up that within the next 2 months, we will be introducing a new aircraft battery that does have tubes and is vented for cockpit installations. We have been working with different OEM's who really wanted a cockpit mounted battery and we want to have the safest solution for this. The model number will be ETX900-VNT. We don't have all the details yet, such as pricing, but I wanted to let you know it is in the works!

Back