What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mount vs remote transponder/comm

I have been looking into the Dynon remote system. I feel the only issue (other than a good system) is that with a stand alone system it will be easier to swap out or upgrade to a different system, since there is space already dedicated on the panel for the transponder and comm. With a remote system, you will be required to use the remote system offered by the manufacturer, or you would need to rewire and cut into the panel for a tray type system. With the remote system you have a cleaner panel.

I don't have the Touch screen G3X, only the legacy G3X with the Garmin remote GTX-23ES and like it very much. I find it very EZ to operate and change codes. I also like that the remote mounting gives lots of placement options and frees up some panel space for other goodies.

I'm just getting started with the installation of a G3X Touch system with remote GTR 20 comm and remote GTX 23ES xpdr. I'm looking forward to a spartan looking panel: main screen, ~10 switches, and maybe a dedicated mount for an ipad.

I have remote mount comm and transponder with the legacy G3X, and like it in that there is no loss of functionality. The problem though is that Garmin doesn't make a remote mount integrated intercomm-comm for a four place setup. I suppose you might be able to use the new GMA 240 and the GTR 20? Wonder how cost effective that is. About your only other options are PS Engineering and MGL for a four place integrated comm and intercomm. I purchased the PAR 100EX, and have had a couple of problems. I understand it has or will be discontinued in favor of the PAR 200.

Last edited:
I just started flying my 9A with the G3X Touch and remote mount Comm and Transponder. I love both but if I were going to do it again I would go with the panel mounted comm. The buttons are easy to operate on the remote but things as simple as volume control are so much easier to operate with a knob. That said its certainly not a problem to do it this way now for all other functions. Transponder is fine remote and I have found no reason to want it on the panel.

Back