What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps on RV-9

brister

Well Known Member
I am converting a RV 9a to a tail Dragger. My question is should I shorten the step or leave the full length? I have seen people say they are fine without cutting but what is the best length?
Thanks

What about waiting until the conversion is done. Then see what you think about it sitting in its new stance?

Right now it is on a rotisserie and would be easy to cut and weld just don't know how much to cut?

Steps:

Dean: I'm rebuilding a damaged 9A and converting it to a 9 as well. After considering the amount of work to fab a decent looking patch vs the benefits of having steps ( my wife and I are not tall) and I may keep this 9 into the senior years I took 4.5 inches out of the vertical section.

Don B

RV - 9 Rebuild in Progress

I am converting a RV 9a to a tail Dragger. My question is should I shorten the step or leave the full length? I have seen people say they are fine without cutting but what is the best length?
Thanks

Dean,

I shortened a standard step 3" when installing it on the passenger side of my RV-6. This allowed the step to be about halfway between the ground and the wing trailing edge and looked like it belonged on the plane. The standard step is definitely too long for a tail dragger.

I welded a length of 4130 tubing inside the step as reinforcement, then ground the exterior splice weld flush. After painting you cannot tell where the step is spliced.

Leave them on, unmodified.

The -9 is much taller than a -6 or -7 and stepping over the flaps is a problem for shorter people.

Mine has always been a -9 and I did not install them and don't miss them, except when I gave someone shorter a ride.

Hopefully Greg Arehart will chime in. He did covert his -9A to a -9 but I don't recall what he did with the steps.

steps on a 9

I chose to leave them unmodified on the 9A that I finished as a 9. I operate it off a grass field and am well satisfied with the standard length. The 9 sits a bit higher than the 7. I Would not change a thing. They work well.

I had them on the 9A and converted to a 9. Left them as is and they work great for getting in and out. Also work very well when I'm kneeling on the wing working inside the cockpit or reaching in to get something and I can put my foot on the step for bracing. I don't think I would shorten them for any particular reason unless you just want some welding practice.

My two cents.

Greg

Back