What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SUPPORT THIS LEGISLATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the FAA sees this as a way to try to minimize the damage.

I've been watching this closely; as some of you know I had something happen last October that means I'll likely never see a medical certificate again. This feels an awful lot like the FAA thinking they better see about implementing what they see as the lesser evil (EAA/AOPA proposal, day VFR only, under 10K MSL, 180HP/4 seat max) versus having Congress cram a much bigger change (day/night VFR, 14K MSL, 6 seats, etc) down their throats. I'm sure the FAA would rather give up a little control over C-172 and RV-7 pilots than they would over Bonanza and even light twin pilots.

Either way I'm sure it's going to take at least a year or two. But either way I'm hosed for a year or two anyway. Either I resume building my RV-7, or pick up a Champ project I've been eyeing and start restoring it. Yeah, I suppose I could buy a flying Champ and be done with it, but I'm that oddball who wants electric start and an electrical system. And my darling wife, bless her terrified little heart, has made it clear that she will never fly in a 90 MPH tube & fabric airplane (but the 180 MPH RV is OK). They don't have to be logical, you know.

So. No flying at all for 2-3 years while I build an RV (and risk it all being wasted effort), or no flying for 1-2 years while I re-assemble and cover a Champ then fly it solo - which will of course guarantee a major medical rule change.

To think I waited 40 years to get a license for this. I haven't broken a hundred hours yet. After spending the past couple of months resigning myself to flying a Champ, now there's a glimmer of actual hope. Now I have to decide whether to continue or not - and it has to be an immediate choice, because I may have a buyer for my wings.

So, I guess I need to call Van's in the morning and see what the lead time is on a fuselage kit.

Sigh. Sorry about the rant.

This is a stall maneuver to hope congress does not follow through with the legislation that they do not support.

Now we need to talk to those people in Washington and our own state capitals that work for us that we need the LAW, not a half assed bait and switch by the FAA. They are not our friends when they try to do this.

Absolutely correct.

I hope this is a huge topic of discussion at SNF! What a great chance to have people contact their representatives right there and then.

I agree this is a stall tactic by the FAA. We need to keep up the grass roots pressure.

As you contact your congressman, please include discussion about people with pre-existing conditions and special issuances as I fear the FAA will throw those people under the bus like they did all those that had been denied a medical in the LSA ruling at the very last hour.

Stall tactic

Guys.
I agree the FAA rule making announcement is a stall... But the way the EAA & AOPA are reacting to it seems to be pretty positive, how can we get them refocused on the legislation? Hr 3708 has almost a third of the house as cosponsors. & the senate bill has about 10% cosponsorship. That's pretty freaking good...

I will be contacting all three of my Congresscritters to ask them not to fall for this feint.

Can someone tell me why there is virtually no democratic support for this bill? Surely there are democrats that fly!

Can someone tell me why there is virtually no democratic support for this bill? Surely there are democrats that fly!

Good question and one that we would be wise to figure out because bipartisan support will get this bill passed. There really is no reason for any party, including the Tea Party not to support this legislation.

So for starters, maybe those of us with Democratic legislators could just ask why they're not supporting the bill. I received a noncommittal letter from Tim Kaine thanking me for telling him about my support for the bill and saying he'd study the issue. I'll follow up with a letter asking him what's holding him back in his support?

If we can identify a reason, I think we can develop a strategy to get their support. As much or more than some of these legislators fly, I think a better argument is the GA pilot population has both Democrats and Republicans and they'll get more votes for supporting the bill than for not supporting it. There are certainly other arguments, too.

Senate Version

In case anyone didn't know it already, the Senate version is S-2103. I emailed my Congressmen several weeks ago and my Senators today when I found the bill number.

Paper Letters

I emailed (via EAA) and called each of my congresshumans when the push started. None of them have responded or signed on as cosponsors since then, so I wrote and mailed out a short letter to each of them yesterday. It didn't take long at all--I used the same letter framework and changed the names and bill number depending on whether they're in the house or senate.

I figure that actually mailing a letter can't hurt, and could really help given the extra personalization compared to the EAA form email. Try it if you have a minute!

Opposition Emerges

Need to continue to send letters since now the medical community is feeling threatened. I am sure they have more pull in congress then a bunch of GA pilots. Write your congressman to have them ask Dr Mark Eidson (President of the Civil Aviation Medical Association (CAMA)) for some sort of proof of his claims.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/AMEs-Fight-Elimination-Of-Third-Class-Medical221803-1.html

Dr Mark Eidson's letter to Congress
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/MarkEidson-CAMA-3rdClassMedicalLetter.php

I figure that actually mailing a letter can't hurt, and could really help given the extra personalization compared to the EAA form email. Try it if you have a minute!

My son is and has been actively involved with a few political office holders and campaigns. According to him, if you do write - send it to your Congresscritter's local office, not DC. Letters to DC can take weeks or months to get through the scanning and decontamination process.

They get so much feedback on so many issues that it's basically low-level staffers (interns) keeping a running tally of emails, phone calls and letters, advising the politician of the results, and sending boilerplate responses. So - while shooting a letter on rag bond to your Senator's office in DC may feel good, it's apparently not as effective as it once was.

The game is afoot.

Here is the email for CAMA, in case you want to send them a message.

[email protected]

Mike,
The Link didn't work for me. I'm sending more letters to everyone I can find, Some things are worth fighting for this is a big one. The class Three has been killing pilots for years. We have all heard the expression "Dieing to keep your medical!" How many more pilots will seek help at the first sign of trouble if the revocation of there medical is not there foremost thought.
RHill

"Dr. Mark Eidson
What basis Sir do you make such claims? The passage of these bills are long overdue.The public is in far less danger of Aeronautical mishaps then driving on public roads. The sociological/physical dependency on Cell phones has long ago replaced Drunk Driving as the #1 hazard of public life. #2 goes to Americans pathological need to play with Firearms. It's long been known that pilots refuse medical treatment for fear of the FAA medical process. The Truth be told you are killing more pilots, by keeping them from seeking help at the first sign of trouble.You Sir took a Hippocratic oath not a hypocritical oath.If you have Scientific facts,state those facts,I'd like to see it. LSA has been around for some time without issue.As a physician you should be more concerned with saving life's then the income stream of your fellow examiners.Passage of these bills will save life's,your position is Irresponsible."

RHill

My next exam should be fun!

Last edited:
Frankly, I think that the fact that this organization that claims to be the national professional association of AMEs also sports a sporadically updated website and an AOL email address speaks for itself.

If you don't need this now, you will someday and wish to heck you had done what you could when you had the chance.
Amen to that. I was perfectly fine one day and permanently uncertifiable the next - although I'm actually in far better health now.

In his letter to Congress Dr. Eidson states ?Being mindful of challenges to general aviation, a CAMA task force for medical certification has proposed expanded recreational pilot privileges that would allow operation of larger aircraft at greater speeds with relaxed, simplified medical requirements.? What are these specific recommendations from CAMA, and when were they made? I did a quick internet search and could not find any information or details. If anyone else can locate this information perhaps they could post a link so that we can see what CAMA has proposed.

Reply from my Congressman

first, I have to say I am impressed with Scott Tipton's response. He is one of the "good guys" for general aviation. Here is the response I got back from him.
I added the BOLD TYPE

Dear Mr. Shepard:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about your aviation concerns. This dialogue is important to me as your representative in Washington, and I appreciate your input.

Overregulation of aviation and our pilots can be detrimental to industries and jobs for Colorado. The safety of pilots and passengers should remain a top priority of the federal government; however, overregulation from organizations such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is not benefiting Coloradoans. The Air Commerce Act of 1926 established federal government regulation and oversight over navigational aids, rules for air traffic control, and licensed pilots. In the 1950s the FAA was created to further protect passengers as more demand for commercial flights took off. Since then, the aviation industry has become the most heavily regulated mode of transportation in the United States. I believe the FAA should only adopt rules that are necessary to ensure safety of their passengers, pilots, and local communities most directly affected, and should not declare onerous rules that hinder this entire industry from growth.

I am a cosponsor of H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013, introduced by Representative Todd Rokita (R-IN). This legislation would force the FAA Administrator to advise pilot medical certification regulations to not be so onerous for our pilots when they have previously passed extensive state medical exams. However, legislation that pertains to the FAA and their regulations is referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, of which I am not a member. I look forward to working with my colleagues to see that aviation safety is ensured, while reining in federal overregulation on general aviation.

As always, I welcome the opportunity to communicate with you regarding issues impacting Colorado. For your convenience, you may sign up to receive regular email updates from me on matters important to the 3rdCongressional District at http://tipton.house.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I can ever be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Scott Tipton
Member of Congress

In contrast...

In contrast look at the amazingly non-committal, inaccurate response I got back 5 months after writing my congressman. This shows such a lack of understanding and concern for anything. I can't describe how disgusting this response is.

------------

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act (H.R. 3708). I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the federal agency charged with ensuring America continues to have one of the safest aerospace systems in the world. Among other responsibilities, the FAA provides medical standards for aircraft pilots to ensure pilots are capable of flying in a safe manner. Specifically, the FAA requires light-sport aircraft (LSA) pilots to obtain a medical certificate from a third party FAA-authorized medical examiner. Concerns have been raised that this requirement is overly stringent for private pilots flying small aircrafts.

In response to such concerns, Representative Todd Rokita (R-IN) introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act (H.R. 3708) on December 11, 2013. This legislation would allow a person to operate as a pilot in command of a small aircraft without a third-class medical certificate as long as they have a driver's license, are flying at an altitude lower than14, 000 feet above sea level, operating under visual flight rules, and at a speed not faster than 250 knots. H.R. 3708 was referred to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee for further review. Should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind and give them thorough consideration.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with me. Your interest and input are valued, and I hope to hear from you in the future regarding other matters of importance. I encourage you to visit my website and sign-up for my e-newsletter at http://reichert.house.gov to learn more about other issues impacting the 8th Congressional District and our nation. You can also follow my work online and receive frequent updates on legislation being considered in Congress by visiting me on Twitter (www.twitter.com/davereichert), Facebook (www.facebook.com/repdavereichert) and YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/repdavereichert) and Instagram (http://instagram.com/repdavereichert).

Sincerely,

David G. Reichert
Member of Congress

I have two main issues with the CAMA letter written by Dr Mark Eidson

First he states:
"In others, safe certification follows identification and treatment of potentially serious conditions."
My question to that statement is when was the FAA put in charge of ensuring the general public is properly treated for health conditions?

Second he states:
"Individuals with serious and even life-threatening heart, lung, brain, psychiatric and alcohol/substance abuse conditions could declare themselves fit to fly. Self-declaration would free these individuals to carry five passengers at high altitudes at speeds approaching 300 miles per hour."
People self delare themselves every day. They determine if they feel well enough to go to work, school, the store, even on vacation. People are smart enough to know when they do not feel well enough to fly even now. If the pilot population is anything like me as I get older, we have miscellaneous aches and pains that are not even part of the FAA process and we decide if we are OK to fly. Also people with the stated "serious and even life-threatening heart, lung, brain . . . . " are not required to go to a Federal doctor to ensure they are safe to drive a car/truck; They work it out with THEIR OWN DOCTOR.

Last edited:
This was published in the latest (April) FAA Notice of Rulemaking

Federal Aviation Administration
Limited Private-Pilot Privileges for Pilots Who Do not Currently Hold an FAA Airman Medical Certificate (Private-Pilot Privileges without a Medical) [Black]

Popular Title: Private-Pilot Privileges without a Medical
RIN 2120-AK45
Stage: NPRM
Previous Stage:None
Abstract: This rulemaking would consider allowing certain operations for individuals exercising private-pilot privileges without holding a current FAA airman medical certificate. The intended effect of this action is to provide relief from having to obtain a medical certificate for pilots engaged in low-risk flying, such as private pilots operating a small, general aviation aircraft.
Effects:
None

Prompting action: Secretarial/Head of Operating Administration Decision
Legal Deadline: None

Rulemaking Project Initiated: 02/04/2014
Docket Number:
Dates for NPRM:
Milestone Originally Scheduled Date New Projected Date Actual Date
To OST 07/03/2014
To OMB 08/04/2014
OMB Clearance 11/04/2014
Publication Date 11/10/2014
End of Comment Period 01/09/2015

Explanation for any delay: N/A

Federal Register Citation for NPRM: None

It seems they have at least given an initial schedule, or you could say they just delayed everything another 9 months. :rolleyes:

My medical is due next month, and at this rate I bet I'll still need another in two years time.

From AOPA ebrief this morning.

"Senior Aviation Medical Examiner Dr. Brent Blue says that his 30 years of issuing third class medicals have not enhanced safety."

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live/AOPA-Live-This-Week.aspx

Here is a copy of what I just sent via the EAA's contact site. http://govt.eaa.org/14781/support-general-aviation-pilot-protection-act/

Please pass this legislation in the near future.

Not only is the 3rd class medical statistically shown to NOT prevent accidents, it does have the unintended and unfortunate side effect of causing pilots to NOT go to the Dr. for minor seeming issues, due to the fact that they must report the visit--------and many pilots are worried that the FAA will pull their license for these contacts, even though the issue may not have anything to do with their ability to safely fly a plane.

Here is a link to a video from AOPA, where a senior FAA medical examiner is interviewed, and he states that the 3rd class medical is a waste of time and does nothing to insure safety.

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live/AOPA-Live-This-Week.aspx

Lastly, regarding the recent FAA announcement that they are looking into relaxing the medical requirement for certain pilots holding 3rd class medicals--------this has been in the hands of FAA for two years with NO action,and now when Congress is taking notice, the FAA finally issues something saying they will look into it---------this is just a STALLING TACTIC by FAA to derail the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act---------it is simply a desperate act by the FAA to maintain their power over the pilot population. Do not let FAA's smokescreen actions throw you off track.

Please pass the GAPPA now.

Thank you, Mike Starkey

Last edited:
Wyoming congresswoman Cynthia Lummis emailed me back. She has concerns about vision testing. YouWyoming guys need to give her a good bump.

Vision testing - are you kidding me? That is her concern? Wow. Is she concerned about truckers eyesight? Lots more things to hit on the road than in the air!

Keep sending those letters and emails. From friends I have who have been elected, a regular letter to their home office hold way more weight than signing a petition or an email. Their people look at all of it so if all you have the time for is an email - do it. If you write the letter, it will be the best .50C you have spent in a long time.

If you are not afraid of your next medical, you will be sometime.

Just got this from my Congressman.

"Dear Mr. Starkey:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013.

H.R. 3708 directs the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or update regulations with respect to Third Class Medical requirements. The bill would revise the Third Class Medical classification by replacing a compulsory medical examination with a requirement that pilots possess a valid driver's license as proof of health. This is merely an extension of the already successful Light Sport Aircraft standard, which was first implemented in 2004 and has been a resounding success.

I am a cosponsor of this commonsense legislation because it will give more of our aviators the freedom to safely be in the sky without unnecessarily burdensome government restrictions.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please visit my website at http://mcclintock.house.gov to reach me regarding any issue that concerns you or your family.

Sincerely,

Tom "

That is great. 100 co-sponsors. With that many, it may be worth asking your representative why they have not joined the rest of group. Ask them why they are not supporting the thousands of pilots that signed petitions and sent letters asking for support. They need to be told that as a group, pilots can be very politically motivated to support those who are helping general aviation - and very vocal about those who do not.

If we lose this one, the FAA will believe they have unlimited power and we are all screwed. If you are not worried about your next physical now, you will be.

Would someone be willing to proof read my letter I just wrote, to check for typos, etc. I don't want to open it up to the whole forum. I plan to fax it to representatives and senators from Colorado.

Thanks,
bc

I will read it. I am not an english teacher, but I taught wood shop for a few years - that probably counts!!

Once you get the letter how you want, it might be a good idea to post it online so others could copy it and send it to their representatives. I think you have my email, but I will PM it to you.

I will read it. I am not an english teacher, but I taught wood shop for a few years - that probably counts!!

Once you get the letter how you want, it might be a good idea to post it online so others could copy it and send it to their representatives. I think you have my email, but I will PM it to you.
Sent to you via email,
Thanks,
Bc

With proofreading from rockwoodrv9, I completed my letter and tailored it for my representatives & senators and just now faxed them into their offices.

This is second letter in attempt to convince Colorado democrats.

bc

Last edited:
My Democratic Congresswoman (is that PC?) from California is on board

I finally received a response today:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the 3rd class medical certificate requirement for certain types of general aviation. I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me.

As a member of the House General Aviation caucus, I have been supportive of this important industry and followed this issue. I agree that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) should not create unnecessary regulatory barriers to general aviation. I hope you will be pleased to know, due in part to your advocacy I have decide to cosponsor The General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. This bill has already had an impact by spurring the Department of Transportation (DOT) to act. The DOT has recently announced a rulemaking process to review this requirement and plans to announce a new rule by the end of the year. I will continue to follow this issue, and I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill be brought to the House floor for debate.

Again, thanks for being in touch. If I may be of assistance to you or your family, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely

Zoe Lofgren

Member of Congress

With one exception, I'm afraid Colorado remains ignorant. I received only one reply so far and it's content showed they did not even understand the issue. They somehow associated it with commercial pilots. bc

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Robert:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013 (H.R. 3708). I appreciate hearing from you.
The safety issues related to a pilot's health are incredibly important, and I believe this is something that should be constantly monitored. I agree that the well-being of commercial and regional pilots and their passengers must be our top priority when we consider these issues.
As you know, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013 was introduced by Representative Rokita on December 11, 2013. H.R. 3708 would redefine the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Third Class medical requirements by replacing a brief and compulsory medical exam with a requirement that pilots carry a valid driver's license. This license would be used as proof of health. H.R. 3708 would also limit the number of passengers a pilot can fly with, the altitude and speed that they can achieve, and the weight that an aircraft can take off with.
H.R. 3708 has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Aviation. Should this or similar legislation come before the Senate I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind.
I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.
For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Michael F. Bennet
United States Senator

Kinda Quiet Out There

Hey all-
I haven't heard much out there lately & the info is kind of now buried on the EAA & AOPA sites unless you dig a little & are looking for it. Not to mention the DOT site doesn't have C**P from the FAA rule making side... Good news though is we now have 122 co-sponsors (including the 10 in the senate)... How can we mak this more or a head line issue??? It seems like all are sitting back & waiting rather than pushing this forward. Like people before me said, if your not worried about your medical now, you soon will be at some point!

Sorry for the rant. I just hate seeing this issue going kind of silent.

Oops spoke to soon... From the AOPA: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/May/29/Support-for-medical-reform-grows.aspx

Last edited:
Third class Medical Reform Update

I took some time out to research this issue. I have enough info for several pages of posts but here are the key points.

First, never refer to this issue as third class exemption. What we are talking about here is reforming the licensing process for a significant portion of private pilots and which, no surprise to anyone who has been involved, is not working for the good of GA pilots.

HR bill 3708, introduced last winter, now has gathered 113 cosponsors,

The bill was referred to the Aviation subcommittee of the House Committee on Transportation. It remains in the Aviation subcommittee. A spokesperson for the committee would only comment that the committee is actively working with Rokita. No formal activities have been scheduled. No hearings have been set and may not be needed.

Eventually if there is enough support and enough information has been submitted the bill could be deliberated on, formally or informally. If it receives a positive nod it will be discharged to the full Committee for further deliberation. At that point if there is enough support in the full committee, the House Leadership will have to be convinced to bring the bill to the floor for further deliberation and a vote.

The Aviation subcommittee is chaired by Rep Frank Lobiondo, a twenty-or-so year senior congressman from NJ and a Republican. I contacted his office and they would give me no information regarding this issue.

If the bill passes the House in whatever form, it will be referred to the Senate.
Eventually the Senate could vote on the House bill and and any differerences or amendments would have to be ironed out before a final bill would be passed by both houses.

S2103, a sister bill in the Senate, has been sent to the Commerce Science, and Transportation committee, which is a full committee and is chaired by Senator Jay Rockefeller, a Democrat and a lame duck senator, in that he is not seeking re-election. In addition, congressional decorum usually dictates that the House bill, which was introduced first, will be allowed to play out first. For all those reasons, and maybe more, do not expect much if any activity from the Senate at this time. There are now 10 Senators who are cosponsors of S2103. More are needed.

The House aviation subcommittee members come from these states.

NJ, WI (2), NC (2), TN (2), GA, TX (3), IN (2), PA, FL (2),
CA, KY, MT, IL (3), WA OR, DC, MA, MN, NV, NY

Go to: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/ and look for committees.

If you from these states and have not contacted your congressman, you should.

Write letters to your Congressman?s local branch office but email or call their DC office.

Be brief, polite and courteous and have your facts together. State who you are and, if you own a business or have other connections, state them. The staffers need to know who they are talking to.
If you have aviation-related activities, (manufacturing, etc.) in your state, list them. Your rep needs to know how important this bill is to people in his/her district .

Talking points:
- 600,000 GA pilots in this country. They tend to be very analytical and aware individuals and are a positive influence on the community. Many have prior military or commercial aviation experience. They are watching closely how Congress is dealing with this legislation.
-These two bills are for reform of the medical certificate process and NOT exempting pilots from responsibility.
-The current system used by the FAA is cumbersome, irrational in its approach, and in some cases, discriminates against pilots.
-Supporting these bills will stimulate all aspects of general aviation, including manufacturing, not just recreational flying.
-The creation of the Light Sport Pilot program has been an outstanding success with a good safety record and some of the aircraft flying under the light sport rules have greater performance than many aircraft that are certified by the FAA and that pilots currently must have a third class medical for.
- You may want to note that the two main detractors of this bill, the FAA and CAMA have a vested and STRONG financial interest in keeping these bills out of deliberation.
-Finally, it is up to Congress to do something because the FAA has demonstrated by its actions, its unwillingness to make any changes.
-Most importantly, you would like your rep TO BE A COSPONSOR OF THE BILL.

Being a cosponsor shows they are serious about their promises and not just ?glad-handing? you.

It will take broad-based bipartisan support to move this bill. At this point in time the most important thing you can do is get your Congressman to be a cosponsor of the bill.

Dave A.

Add them to CAMA, a group that apparently represents a small subset of AMEs. So apparently the only people in the country who support keeping the current system in place, are the doctors who A.) make money from it and B.) get to act as "gatekeepers" to decide who flies and who doesn't.

Color me shocked.

Theses are not the AMEs but the American Medical Association. My understanding is they are loosing membership due to most doctors not agreeing with the organization and currently membership is <15% of doctors.
Reasons they are going to lobby against 3rd class medical reform are pretty poor. I list them here for your amusement.

1. That pilots operating under a driver's license medical would represent a danger to commercial aircraft, constituting a public health concern.

2. That AMEs frequently find unreported health issues during the certificate exam that would disqualify a pilot.

3. That a license is really an "unrestricted ticket" and that AMEs offer the last line of defense to make sure the skies are safe.

4. That most pilots are "infrequent fliers," which adds stress and puts them at greater health risk.

I especially like 3 and think my CFI will get a laugh that the Skies are safe due to medicals and not due to required training.

Last edited:
To no one's surprise...

Every year I get a whole bunch of post cards from AME's, around the time my medical expires. There's a nice amount of money to be made here, and the medical union certainly isn't going to kill the cash cow if they can help it.

1. Best statistics are only between 5% and 15% of all "licensed" physicians are AMA members. The rest of us consider the AMA a sick joke.

2. Most AMA members are academic or research physicians who have little to nothing to do with direct patient care.

3. The percentage of aviation medical examiners that are AMA members is so small as to be immeasurable.

4. Most AMEs are AMEs because they are pilots or aviation enthusiasts.

5. It is doubtful that any AMEs make even 1% of their annual billing (sales not profit) from aviation medical exams.

6. It is doubtful that much, if any, any profit is made on an aviation medical exam, once you take into account,t overhead and time spent. It is much more profitable to se 5 runny noses in the same amount of time an aviation exam and it's paperwork takes. It certainly isn't a "cash cow".

7. I would estimate that 98% of practicing physicians are even aware of the fact that pilots are required to undergo a medical exam.

Physicians didn't invent the requirement for an aviation medical FAA bureaucrats did so direct your ire at them and not your Doctor.

Physicians cannot make the requirement go away only politicians can
so aim your bullets at them not your Doctor.

The AMA is an insignificant group that DOES NOT represent the vast majority of physicians nor share our views and beliefs. If you want to demonize the AMA that's ok by me, just don't lump the rest of us in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back