What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Quick Drain

PaulR

Well Known Member
I have what appears to be a Quick Oil Drain like Van's sells. Don't know for sure if it's Van's or not as it came with the engine. It appears to have developed a slow leak that I've found during my first condition inspection.

I'm assuming that there is an O-Ring in the top of it that seals it when its' closed. Would anyone happen to have the part number or size of that O-ring so I could have it on hand when I remove the plug?

Wouldn't you know it that I didn't see the leak until I had put fresh oil in it!!

Thanks

The engine's that Van's sells, don't come with a quick drain. You can look at Aircraft Spruce, which has several vendors that sell quick drain kits. I'm sure the other vendors probably sell them too.

You might want to compare yours with the photos on ACS's site to see what you have and whothe manufacturer may be.

SafeAir quick drain seeps

I have a quick drain I bought years ago and I am not very happy with it. It develops a tiny leak I changed washer and oil still shows its sleekness. It's just a dozen droplets every 10 or so hours but it's there. I am thinking of ditching the drain and put old fashioned Lycoming plug back.

I have a quick drain I bought years ago and I am not very happy with it. It develops a tiny leak I changed washer and oil still shows its sleekness. It's just a dozen droplets every 10 or so hours but it's there. I am thinking of ditching the drain and put old fashioned Lycoming plug back.

You and me both. I think the vibration causes it to seep.

I like the quick drain IDEA but I have some problems with the common one sold on the market. You have to be careful when tightening it (I was replacing a washer) to put your wrench on the correct flats. It's VERY soft and if you put them where the safety wire snakes through, it takes very little to smush the hole shut, and then you're basically out one $90 part as I am.

I've decided to wait until the next oil change to swap it out. Goodness knows when that's going to be. AOPA told me today there's a 90 day lag time now for medical stuff from Oklahoma city. It could be months before I find out even what additional info the FAA wants in order to consider my renewal.

try the Fumoto?

some folks are fans of these....you can buy them for about $25 from a truck/diesel supply place, they have a steel ball in nylon seat, so no O-ring, and with the nipple ( N-series) you can attach a hose & direct wherever needed.
Most safety the valve with a hose clamp or wire.
I bought one, but didn't have the clearance at my heat muff to turn the valve, so be aware they take up a little more room than the push-in ( Amsafe) style.

by the way, anyone in the Okanagan want one? I have 2 un-used, make me an offer!!

Last edited:
Saf Air

After a little more due diligence it is a Saf-Air quick drain. The engine didn't come from Van's so I verified with paperwork.

Looks like it needs to come out and the o-ring replaced though I'm going to open and close it a couple of times and see if a piece of FOD of some kind is holding it open.

Thanks

I have the Saf-air drain and my first one had a small leak. Found a little ding in the aluminum o-ring seat. Called them and they sent me a new one. Didn't want the defective one back. Replacement is drip-free and I am very happy with the customer service.

Another fan of Fumoto here. Been on my diesel for 80k now, never a drip. That truck has drug that valve through more pheasant field bushes than most farmers tractors have to endure...quick drains used to make me nervous, but not anymore. Just purchased the same brand for the lycosaur....which hopefully won't be dragging through weeds and bushes like the truck's valve. :)

Last edited:
Another +1 for the Fumoto quick drain valve. High quality and only $45 with tax and shipping from suppliers online.

Upper right corner of these photos.

IMG_3731-M.jpg

IMG_3070-M.jpg

I had to drill a small hole on the flange to safety wire it.
You can get it with the hose barb on the down spout like I have.

Fumoto part number?

Hey Bruce, what part number is that?

Another +1 for the Fumoto quick drain valve. High quality and only $45 with tax and shipping from suppliers online.

Upper right corner of these photos.

Fumoto installation

I installed a Fumoto as referenced and expected it to shoulder up on a crush washer. It did not. I haven't put much torque on it yet and after looking at the picture in this thread, it looks like I should not expect it to shoulder up. Did you use any thread seal?

I used some plumbers paste, yes.

I installed a Fumoto as referenced and expected it to shoulder up on a crush washer. It did not. I haven't put much torque on it yet and after looking at the picture in this thread, it looks like I should not expect it to shoulder up. Did you use any thread seal?

Quick drain

I installed a 24" AN hose on the sump , put a plug in the end . It is zip tied to the motor mount . It is long enough to extend out the bottom of the cowl , remove plug to drain oil .clean and simple .
Tom

Thanks, everyone - this is timely since I'm putting together my firewall forward order list. On the RV-3B, there isn't a standard Van's firewall forward kit so I'm developing my own and had forgotten a quick drain.

I found that Amazon sells the Fumoto T202N for $36.95, which seems to be the best price if you're getting free shipping in the order.

On my Cessna 180, the old quick drain valve, which doesn't seen to be offered any more, is still working great with no leaks. I don't know when it was installed, but to my knowledge it's got at least 1,300 hours. Wish I could tell you what it is, they used to be the common one for the job and all the aircraft parts stores sold them.

Dave

Back