What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing passenger rudder pedals

Vlad

Well Known Member
I don't have brakes installed on the right side of my RV9A. Has anybody removed or modified passenger rudder pedals to be removable? Resale value and training flights aside there is some real estate wasted. Could be used productively on long hauls. Any thoughts? :D

Gear's the Problem!

Switch to a tail dragger and be rid of that volume eating, trip-'n-fall, jungle gym main gear support structure. :D

I'd be wanting to reinforce the remaining leg with the rudder cable attachment. That's a pretty long moment arm and more than just air pressure when right rudder hits the stop.

John Siebold

I was thinking of re welding the right one to make it more narrow.

If you brace the right side of the right pedal behind the existing tube, and then cut off the remaining pedal and the left pedal about 2 inches down from the weld, you could make another set of pedals that would swing off of the horizontal tubing and would contact the 2 inch stub and work the rudder as normal, but would swing out of the way when not needed.

Back