What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing a constant speed engine to a fixed pitch engine

pastranafan5

Does anybody know if this is a simple change or something that I shouldn't do? I'm thinking about getting a Catto prop for my constant speed O-320, so it would need to be changed.

Constant speed to fixed pitch

There does exist a way to very easily make the change WITHOUT modifying the freeze plugs in the crankshaft, or removing the stainless line that goes back to the governor pad. It DOES require the removal of the governor, and a specially machined governor pad cover.

My IO-360 was delivered from Matituck Aviation with this setup so I could run a fixed pitch prop. Mahlon (whom monitors this site) can tell you more about how to get this special governor pad cover.

Does anybody know if this is a simple change or something that I shouldn't do? I'm thinking about getting a Catto prop for my constant speed O-320, so it would need to be changed.

Last edited:
Crankshaft

With the special cover you still need to install the front plug when installing the fixed pitch prop and remove it for installing constant speed.
I see this as a good option for those desire to change back and forth between fixed and c/s.

Not if he's removing a constant speed prop....

With the special cover you still need to install the front plug when installing the fixed pitch prop and remove it for installing constant speed.
I see this as a good option for those desire to change back and forth between fixed and c/s.

I found a suitable cover on EBay. Likewise for the allen hex plug down in the crank, purchase a high quality Snap-On, etc hex wrench to remove it. Do not use a ball end hex wrench. They break off. Ask me how I know. With the right tool, the job is very easy.

Last edited:
Back