What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

broken pilot door window

falcon900guy

Well Known Member
attached my windows over a year ago using lord adhesive and forgot to clean the excess ooze off on the interior side of the door. today was trying to clean the globs off around the window, and i had this one nasty glob not wanting to come off. tried using a very small screwdriver to pop the glob off and all the sudden over half the screwdriver disappeared, and my heart stopped as well. broke the window! already cut it out with about 1-1/4" plexi all the way around and ordered a new window. just looking for someone who has replaced a window before and might have some tips. all is appreciated. lord adhesive is the real deal, i can say that!

kenny

broken window.

ok, so i won't get shut out and not have a "0" on replies, I'm going to say the process of eliminating the remaining plexi around the fiberglass window channel was kinda easy. i took a chisel and lightly tapped underneath the plexi and it came right up. I still have to clean a little adhesive up, but it was actually painless.

It appears that at least among the forum readers, no one had to replace
a side or door window or so it seems, judging by the number of replies.

lord adhesive is the real deal, i can say that!

It did notice your last comment about lord adhesive and I was wondering which part makes you think it was "the real deal".

Reading your second post as you describe how easy the window came off by lightly tapping under the plexi...
I won't go into the lord vs weld on debate but I can assure you, had you used weld on, you would have needed a grinder to get that plexi off the flange.
Can't say whether that is better or worse but undoubtedly a fact.
Maybe now someone will reply:)

It appears that at least among the forum readers, no one had to replace
a side or door window or so it seems, judging by the number of replies.

It did notice your last comment about lord adhesive and I was wondering which part makes you think it was "the real deal".

Reading your second post as you describe how easy the window came off by lightly tapping under the plexi...
I won't go into the lord vs weld on debate but I can assure you, had you used weld on, you would have needed a grinder to get that plexi off the flange.
Can't say whether that is better or worse but undoubtedly a fact.
Maybe now someone will reply:)

i probably shouldn't have said "easy". what was going through my head with different methods other people told me to use, i had built up this fear of how hard it was going to be. driving the chisel underneath the plexi like i was doing, popped the glass up easier than i thought it would. i had to chisel a bunch of lord adhesive off with the chisel after taking the plexi off as well and still a bunch of sanding to get the surface ready for another window. if weldon is harder than Lord, then "wow". i just don't want to have to do this project again.

I did not reply, as I have not actually done this. But I read (here?) that the recommended tool was a router.

ok, so i won't get shut out and not have a "0" on replies, I'm going to say the process of eliminating the remaining plexi around the fiberglass window channel was kinda easy. i took a chisel and lightly tapped underneath the plexi and it came right up. I still have to clean a little adhesive up, but it was actually painless.

That is an interesting data point because I have replaced window glass (while doing static tests of the rollover structure of the cabin top) that was bonded in with Weldon and the only way to remove it was to router it out.

prep, temp, etc.

like any bond, anecdotal evidence seems to show that if the surface is scuffed, that can double the bond ( at least seemingly!) Perhaps the Lord popped off the plexi surface if it was left glossy? ( in this case, a blessing!)
cure times, how fresh the epoxy is, can all affect the final strength of the bond.
I've run into bonds I've done with the Lord gun-type dispenser where the first foot failed due to old or contaminated glue, it just never cured....the next 90% was nearly impossible to get apart....same temp, same prep, same applicator....

Back