What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping List

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I am planning a couple of RV camping trips and would like to get a list of necessities, or oh yeah, don't forget this, or you really need this... i.e., you are going camping (Triple Tree/Petit Jean) for a couple of days, what are you bringing? Trying to get ready and warm up the wife to camping, her idea of camping is anything less than 4 star.

If she's never been camping, it might be worth setting up in the back yard and camping one night there for a trial run.

Dave

Camping

What do you have in the way of equipment? First need to decide if you want car/airplane camping or backpacking equipment. Car camping gear is generally less expensive, comfortable but heavy. Backpacking equipment is light weight, more expensive but less comfortable. You should use a ground cloth under your tent not for water purposes, but to protect the bottom of the tent. Make sure it does not stick out from under the tent else it will collect water and create a problem. Sleeping bags have comfort ratings. A bag rated to 0 deg will keep you alive to 0 deg not necessarily comfortable. Get a water proof cover for it. Will you be cooking? - again, car camping stoves are easier to use, and less expensive than back packing stoves but bigger and heavier. Rain gear is a must. Don't spend a lot of money on gee wiz wowie breathable stuff. It's not breathable enough to make a difference in my opinion. I've sweated buckets in Gore tex gear. A good LED flashlight and/or head lamp - again cheap is fine. I have expensive head lamps and my favorite is a $10 Eveready unit. A nice battery powered LED lantern will make the tent cheery at night. Pack your clothing in water proof duffels. I use the kind meant for canoe trips. Sleeping pads. You'll be tempted to get a nice thick inflatable air mattress. They're comfy alright, but will be VERY cold to sleep on if temps get even as low as the 50ies. I have always used a Thermorest foam pad. They come in different thicknesses. Your decision will be made on weight, volume and comfort. A one inch thick pad had always been OK for me. Remember matches, lighters, some extra line (20 feet). I like to hang my sleeping bag outside every morning to air/dry out (use the 20' line).

That should keep you alive and comfortable. I'll post more if I think of it. I'm sure others will have other suggestions.

Good luck,

Tom

Camping

No cooking, looking for the best tent to pack in the back of the plane. I won't be backpacking with it, but if it rains, I would like to stay dry. Other item suggestions as well. The 14 has a good amount of baggage space & weight, 100lbs.

Everything Tom said but also there is a weight and balance issue and a pure volume problem. No problem if I go alone but a big problem if I go with my wife. She hasn't figured out how to go light and minimal yet but getting better. For example, I take a two man tent that weight 4.5lbs and is about the side of a loaf of bread. When the wife goes, it's a 4 person tent that she can stand up in and weighs 9.7lbs. Add that to upsizing everything else and all of a sudden your plane is to small!

It's really trial and error and depends on what comfort you are expecting. I will look up a typical travel list and post it tonight if possible.

Paul is right on. Like anything else it's a balance between $, weight and volume, but if you're wife is at all uncertain about camping get the biggest tent you can fit into your airplane. I recently purchased a 8'x14' dome tent that weighs 18lbs, fits into a 26"x8"x8" bag and is friggin' luxurious, and it was only $99 at Dicks Sporting goods. They have smaller ones too - go there and have a look. You'll probably find a sale this time of year too.

I'd suggest the Marmot Limestone 4P tent. You know how tents go, 4 really means 3 people and 3 really means 2.

The thing that I like about the size, and what I think is important, is that you can set it up and get everything out of the airplane and into it. Secure the airplane, put your canopy cover on, and your done. Bring on the weather! With everything inside there is still plenty of room for 2 to sleep comfortably. That and it's relatively light and very well made.

If you ever decide to camp at Oshkosh the above is very important as you've probably heard the thunderstorm horror stories. I wouldn't call myself a true Oshkosh veteran yet, but I've been through 3 or 4 doozies without even a drop in the tent.

Last edited:
There are lots of pretty good tents available. A 4 person is a good size if you want some extra room in the tent. The dome type is really easy to setup. REI has a nice one that I've barrowed from a few times. There are cheaper ones available. The cheap tents tend to have only one door. The tents with a fly will keep you dry if needed. I bought a 4 person Alps because it seemed like the best compromise. If I camped more I probably would have sprung for one of the more expensive tents.

I've got a pretty wide assortment of cheap "car camping" and "name brand" backpacking gear. My no-name 4-man (sleeps 1 or 2) tent cost me $30-40 as I recall and after 18-20 trips - and one replaced pole section - it just won't rip or fail. The cost per sq ft of the name brand versus cheap is prob 5 to 1. Packed weight per sq ft of the name brand versus cheap is probably .7 - .9 to 1.

Followup add... chairs are major comfort item. Travelchair Wallaby is my small/light/armchair preference. Make sure you have an air mattress and it's reliable. Never underestimate the need for shade. I put together a home-brew shade for Oshkosh that worked very well using a cheap Harbor Freight tarp and REI adjustable tarp poles.

I bought an AO Coolers brand, soft collapsible type cooler just before Oshkosh. Works excellent for the price ($62 delivered on Amazon). I would add ice every two days, with beer being deposited and withdrawn 8-10 times a day from my camping buddies. Used it as my clothing duffel bag coming and going.

Coffee is via a small aluminum percolator pot, butane burner and instant. Cellular and other devices recharged by lithium booster battery. Just upgraded to 26,400 mah RAVPower booster. Extended trips like Oshkosh - I charge my booster via PV.

Don't think you have to hundreds of dollars for camping gear. Because value doesn't always match the price tag.

Last edited:
if your testing the waters camping don't invest a lot of money until you know you like it. I recommend the following for the basics.

A basic walmart level tent 4-6 people.

A couple of Harbor Freight blue tarps, 7X9. One you use as a footprint to set your tent on to keep ground moisture out. The other for an extra rain fly since budget tents may not keep you dry in heavy rains, but the tarp will.

Comfortable sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees.

This is critical. What your sleeping on will be a deal breaker when it comes to getting the better half camping. Either a good quality inflatable bed, or a high quality backpack pad. If you go with a backpack sleeping pad I would recommend a Big Agnes Q Core pad. Not cheap but worth all the money it cost. We have backpacked for years out of our plane and all over the country, and that pad is awsome. Also bought a D battery inflator for float toys and made a simple mod to inflate the pads. Too lazy to blow them up.

A Jet Boil, heats water up for coffee, oatmeal etc. compact and quick.
If you drink coffee, Starbucks Vida instant coffee. Best friend in the morning.

Wine or you favorite beverage if you happen to drink.

Folding chairs, etc, and a collapsible ice chest. Keeps things cold when using it, folds up when your not.

What ever else you hink you need, but try not to over pack.

Stoney,

Best inexpensive tent I've ever had, by a big margin:

https://kelty.com/acadia-4/

Bone dry through a lot of big t-storms, big enough for two adults with double-size mattresses, doors on both ends, covered "outdoor" vestibules at both ends. I do use a 4-mil plastic sheet under it.

Really don't need to bring food to TT or PJ. Snacks maybe. Beer for sure. And folding chairs.

If you think that you will extend your camping adventures further north or to higher elevations get a warmer sleeping bag to start. They are too expensive to be having to upgrade.

Great information!

I too love to camp but now with the 7 instead of the 172 my camping gear selection will need to be lighter and compact. A dry tent is important for sure, but to me a comfortable bed is paramount. I've always packed on of those folding army type cots (heavy). Very comfortable and off the ground. How does the sleeping pads compare? Pros/cons? I have seen some tiny campsites at the fly-ins and have always wondered how they manage for the duration!:) I am also impressed with the "new" camping chairs that I saw at OSH. Alum poles and a sling type seat. Very compact and comfy but pricey...

A Jet Boil, heats water up for coffee, oatmeal etc. compact and quick.
If you drink coffee, Starbucks Vida instant coffee. Best friend in the morning.

Wine or you favorite beverage if you happen to drink.

Folding chairs, etc, and a collapsible ice chest. Keeps things cold when using it, folds up when your not.

O.K. this is good. I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning, so that's a given. There are a bunch of different kinds of JetBoil, do you have a recommendation? I have informed my wife she is down to 2 pairs of shoes verse the normal 20.

I too love to camp but now with the 7 instead of the 172 my camping gear selection will need to be lighter and compact. A dry tent is important for sure, but to me a comfortable bed is paramount. I've always packed on of those folding army type cots (heavy). Very comfortable and off the ground. How does the sleeping pads compare? Pros/cons? I have seen some tiny campsites at the fly-ins and have always wondered how they manage for the duration!:) I am also impressed with the "new" camping chairs that I saw at OSH. Alum poles and a sling type seat. Very compact and comfy but pricey...

The problem with cots and thick air mattresses is that they are cold...
Seriously - if the temps get into the 50ies you WILL BE UNCOMFORTABLE. Some people take care of the cold issue by putting Thermorest type pads on top cots and air mattress but for me that's a bit of overkill.

Chairs and a tarp for shade are a good idea also.

A bag rated to 0 deg will keep you alive to 0 deg not necessarily comfortable. Get a water proof cover for it.
Tom

Do you mean a waterproof storage bag? Don't try to sleep with your bag under a waterproof cover, you'll end up in a pool of sweat, although it will be warm sweat. This is one place where GoreTex does work.

I agree with the idea that you should try stuff out in the backyard, to be sure it's okay with the significant other. Just remember it gets a lot colder at night in some places (like the mountains) than it does in many backyards.

Do you mean a waterproof storage bag? Don't try to sleep with your bag under a waterproof cover, you'll end up in a pool of sweat, although it will be warm sweat. This is one place where GoreTex does work.

I agree with the idea that you should try stuff out in the backyard, to be sure it's okay with the significant other. Just remember it gets a lot colder at night in some places (like the mountains) than it does in many backyards.

No no - I meant a waterproof storage bag :D

4trhwh.jpg

I personally use the backpacking, lightweight but expensive camping gear but I like to camp in my RV-6. What could be better than sleeping with your airplane. :D

You WILL find the ideal tent when you see it. The Kelty line suggested by Dan is very good.

However, AS TOGAFLYER SUGGESTS…….the most important item in your plane is a comfortable pad to put a sleeping bag on. Especially for our spouses. I have 6 high tech pads including several Thermorest pads from cheaper ones to really expensive ones.

However………..

THE ONLY ITEM I REFUSE TO LEAVE BEHIND IS MY REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad.
(Doesn’t need you to inflate it except for a few breaths after it does it’s thing)(A little bulky but very light)

NOT CHEAP but you will thank me later. They will be 25% off starting August 26th:

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

A great nights sleep cannot be over estimated.

………………..This is critical. What your sleeping on will be a deal breaker when it comes to getting the better half camping. Either a good quality inflatable bed, or a high quality backpack pad. If you go with a backpack sleeping pad I would recommend a Big Agnes Q Core pad. Not cheap but worth all the money it cost. We have backpacked for years out of our plane and all over the country, and that pad is awsome. Also bought a D battery inflator for float toys and made a simple mod to inflate the pads. Too lazy to blow them up.

Last edited:
Another thumbs up for a Kelty tent, I bought a 4 man (perfect for 2 and gear) backing tent on clearance for about $200 with the included footprint. I really like the 2 vestibules for outside storage and 2 doors and it weighs less than 10 lbs.

The best thing I've ever bought for camping was a Thermarest pad, lots of different ones but I chose what they call the "base camp" pad. To big and comfy to actually backpack but is perfect for airplane camping. It semi self inflates, packs down into a 4-5 inch roll and i prefer it over an air mattress for comfort. I've had several cheaper $30-50 camping pads that were not comfortable and only lasted a few trips, my Thermarest pad has seen over 100 nights of use and is still like new.

The wife bought me some super cool Helinox collapsible backpacking chairs for Christmas, not sure I could've spent the $$ on them but I don't go airplane camping without them now.

I'm still searching for the perfect airplane cooler....

GLPalinkas;1106272 THE ONLY ITEM I REFUSE TO LEAVE BEHIND IS MY REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad. (Doesn’t need you to inflate it except for a few breaths after it does it’s thing)(A little bulky but very light) NOT CHEAP but you will thank me later. They will be 25% off starting August 26th: [url said:
https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad[/url]

A great nights sleep cannot be over estimated.

SWEEEEEEET. And I thought my 2" thermarest was plush. I see I need to shop more often. :)

In regards to camping in general. I used to backpack a lot so I go with lightweight backpack gear. Tent size is personal choice. I prefer the 3 man for two people but that is my minimalist training. Since many tents are equivalent in many areas, there are two things I look for in a tent design:

#1. Can the tent be completely broken down and stowed without disturbing the erected rainfly?
#2. Airflow and ventilation. Lots of screen. As a rule I prefer the rectangular floored domes because the rainfly usually is of a design that can be oriented with the prevailing wind to give a nice breeze through the tent.

COFFEE... The decision to cook greatly increases equipment inventory. If you can organize your stuff to minimize cleanup (via disposables for instance), equipment inventory and morning cleanup neusance can be less.

Last edited:
Like others have said, the Kelty tents are nice..thats what I carry, and a set of lightweight bags for mid range temps. I have an RV-4, which really sets limits when traveling with 2 people. My wife and I have camped at OSH, and Triple Tree, which both have ammenities that allow you to take very minimal "stuff". If going more primative, and you arent worried about 5 star meals, the MRE type backpacking foods are light and easy. Fortunately, we have friends with a Cessna 206 (F-250 crew cab model) that usually end up in the same place...so they bring the beer coolers and lawn chairs. Dont forget the plane needs stuff too, such as tie downs and covers if weather goes to ****. OSH and TT won't even let you stay without decent tie downs.

Regarding the jet boil, most of them are about the same. Some are packaged with coffee presses, etc. just google it and shop around for any specials a sporting goods store is running. On the sleeping pads, I went with the XL Q Core because its still very compact, inflates to about 3" in thickness so you have good insulation off the ground. Also you can adjust the comfort by fully inflating, laying on it, and slowly bleeding out the air until its just right. The negative on it is blowing it up manually can take a little time. There are simple backpacking inflators available out there too. The Thermorest is also a good product and they now have something simular to the Q Core. Unless you plan to do serious packing, I would avoid the lightweight self inflate pads that are about an inch think. More of a young persons pad. Best is hit a good sporting goods store that carries all these items and look them over. The helinox chairs are awesome. Pricy, but worth it. Whatever it takes to make the trip a fun and comfortable trip is the most important. first impression will be a lasting impression.

Whisperlite International Stove

In my opinion this is the stove that set the standard. Burns Coleman fuel, mogas, avgas (not recommended because of lead) and even Jet A (I recommend Coleman fuel). You'll need to purchase a fuel bottle.

c3387ec6-922c-421e-8cd3-7b9cbb6c7b93

coolers and coffee

Take a look at Polar Bear Coolers (.com), a heck of a lot cheaper than a Yeti and work plenty good. An alcohol stove is a lightweight, inexpensive way to heat water for the coffee press or instant. Starbucks Via is nice, but if you have a Trader Joe's nearby their instant coffee is a heck of a lot cheaper and just as good - plus you can make it a strong or weak as you like.

Other coolers

Also check-out Rtic and Ozark Trails. Both are Yeti knock-offs. I have some Rtic products and they rock!

After years of cross country motorcycle trips having to pack light for two people I learned to hand the passenger a piece of luggage that is suited for the vehicle being used (motorcycle or airplane) tell them they can take anything they want as long as it fits into that piece of luggage. I would use a small gas stove like the msr pictured above to boil water. for coffee a small french press works great. I agree with a previous poster an air mattress can get cold on cool nights. I would put a fleece blanket on top of the air mattress and that would work good, but a good insulated mattress has been my choice. I carry a small 3 person tent in the back of the Cardinal with a Coleman air mattress, On long cross countries this has come in handy due to weather delays.

Back