What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gas cap engraving

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Is their any logic to some of the things that people engrave on their gas caps?

I understand putting "100LL Only", or "AVGAS". The reasoning is so the wrong stuff won't be accidentally put in.

I understand putting your N number on, in case a Cap gets "lost".

I understand open/close positions and/or directions, for people who don't know how to use the cap. I would question why they are filling my airplane then, so I don't agree with that logic, but I can understand it.

Things I don't understand the reasoning behind at all, are:
- Capacity (e.g. "21 US Gallons")
- Aircraft type (e.g. "RV-8")

Can anyone help me understand why? Have any of you seen other things there, and thought "That's a good idea!" ?

Up North Aviation is who you want to talk to. http://www.upnorthaviation.com/fuel-cap-engraving.html

Lots of great reviews in the "Reviews" section. http://www.vansairforce.com/communi...1&pp=58&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

Example of his offerings;

3418017_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Is their any logic to some of the things that people engrave on their gas caps?

I understand putting "100LL Only", or "AVGAS". The reasoning is so the wrong stuff won't be accidentally put in.

Things I don't understand the reasoning behind at all, are:
- Capacity (e.g. "21 US Gallons")

Pretty sure you will find that fuel type and quantity are required by FAA regs.

Mike S -- Not disagreeing at all, as this might be the most important reply of all. Can you point me to the Reg?

Just looked it up...

Apparently QTY is not directly in the Part 23 requirements, but it says other markings may be required by a certified aircraft AFM. Fuel type is a required marking

I think the aircraft manuals might specify it to help with W&B calculations.

PS above is for certified aircraft.

If it is FAR 23.1557, it only need say AVGAS 100LL, not capacity.

Correct, but the Type Certificate details are added regulatory requirements for certified aircraft and they do all seem to add fuel qty. as a required placard.

Even the lowly C-150...:) page 18 -

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/14b9f17e0cdcc2ae862578bf004875be/$FILE/3A19%20Rev%2048.pdf

My Tiger TCDS does the same, but that has the added feature of a tab to label. The C-150 is a simple tank.

Last edited:
Gil - Thanks for that. I will add the capacity, because "why not?". If there is a reason for certified planes to have it, it probably has some value (don't flame me for that comment).

I did notice that 23.1557 also says that the fuel selector is supposed to indicate capacity for each separate source, but I have never seen that on any RV that I looked at. So it would need to say 21 US Gallons on both the right and left side of the fuel selector. That I will not do, unless told that it is mandatory during my inspection.

Good info guys, thank you very much!

So, from what I'm reading when 100LL goes away we will have ot have our caps re-engraved! How about just "AVGAS Only"

So, from what I'm reading when 100LL goes away we will have ot have our caps re-engraved! How about just "AVGAS Only"

I put 91 OCT MIN, (IAW Lycoming SI 1070S) on mine to avoid that very issue. FWIW, I also put the capacity and my N number.

Last edited:
I put 91 OCT MIN, (IAW Lycoming SI 1070S) on mine to avoid that very issue. FWIW, I also put the capacity and my N number.

If it was a certified plane the FAR says "type of fuel" must be on the label.

Hence the auto gas bit for the Petersen STC -

14-00032.jpg

I think the other required manufacture's placard must stay as well.

On this same topic, what are people putting for grade when they plan to (or possibly will) run MoGas?

Edit: I missed the post about 91 Oct Min, that makes sense.

Back