What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 and bad knees

dandrewmd11

I'm New Here
Have always loved the RV 10 and many years ago was allowed to go on short flight in one but that was pre knee replacement. As I remember there were no overhead hand holds to assist entry and egress. I am a big guy and am pretty much limited in mobility as is my wife. Does anyone else that flies an RV10 have knee replacements? And if so how easy is your entry and egress from the aircraft?

Have always loved the RV 10 and many years ago was allowed to go on short flight in one but that was pre knee replacement. As I remember there were no overhead hand holds to assist entry and egress. I am a big guy and am pretty much limited in mobility as is my wife. Does anyone else that flies an RV10 have knee replacements? And if so how easy is your entry and egress from the aircraft?

There are several RV-10s that the builder placed a handle on the exterior of the cabin cover to assist in getting up on the wing.

I have a small, folding aluminum step from Harbor Freight. My wife can't quite reach the step, plus it gives her a larger target to hit coming down off the wing.

3X

I have had three knee replacements and continued to fly after. I think that the 10 may be one of the easier planes to get into but out is a little tougher. I put in some strategically placed hand holds.

Gary Specketer

Nothing beats trying it on the real thing.
Post a request here stating how far you'd drive to 'try on' a -10 for size. You'll likely get multiple replies.

My wife has had both hips, both knees and both wrists replaced. Part of her spine is carbon fiber. She does use a 1 step folding step to get up on the wing, but has no problem getting in and out. But then she also does root canals without anesthesia. One tough cookie.

RV 10

My wife has had both hips, both knees and both wrists replaced. Part of her spine is carbon fiber. She does use a 1 step folding step to get up on the wing, but has no problem getting in and out. But then she also does root canals without anesthesia. One tough cookie.

TOUGH COOKIE! That is an understatement.

Root canals are a waste of money. Removing the blood supply and nerve from a tooth root causes it to turn into a hunk of brittle bone-like material that will eventually fracture. Best to remove the root that "needs" a root canal and put in an implant. Permanent solution.

Oh boy, Mike. In the dental world, this gets close to primer wars. I'll defer RV related items to you but you'll have to defer dentistry to me (Prosthodontist). I'm a huge fan of dental implants and have restored thousands...but there is still a time and place for root canals. Leave it to the pros to decided which tool to use for which application :D Now...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Im located in south Texas. Would be more than happy to show let you "try on" the -10 and see what you think. Just send me an email.

frankleone94 "@t" gmail "d0t" com

Wow

"...Root canals are a waste of money. Removing the blood supply and nerve from a tooth root causes it to turn into a hunk of brittle bone-like material that will eventually fracture. Best to remove the root that "needs" a root canal and put in an implant. Permanent solution..."

Wow...Pretty brave, aren't you?

I can say that root canals suck, for sure, as I have had two. Both were done a long, long time ago (35 years) with lots of novocaine and drilling...it definitely sucked. About ten years ago , one finally cracked. I had it replaced with an implant. After removing the tooth, filling the hole, allowing bone integration, drilling a hole, installing the post, allowing it to integrate, and finally fabricating the new tooth, I can say I like the implant, even considering the additional maintenance of flossing under and around the implant tooth.

They are not perfect, though. Had a second one done on a damaged front tooth. Same procedure, however, When the post was being threaded in, it stripped the bone. Dentist said we could start all over or do a bridge. I opted for the bridge, as I was sick of people drilling holes in my head!:eek:

Agree with previous poster that there specific tools for specific jobs...

I'm in Lakeway. You'll probably have some luck with someone nearby with a flying -10. If no luck your welcome to come by my place and step in and out. Wings aren't attached, but doors, seats and and everything is pretty much there for a test. I have a steep stool that is about the same height as the wing.

Back