VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-26-2018, 09:18 PM

For shipping a plane overseas, there are all kinds of reasons for me not to do it myself. I'd have to deal with shipping, customs, agents, insurance for starters. I'd have to disassemble and pack the plane for shipping and although I could make something up, I don't know how to do it. And if the plane was damaged en route, then what?

Lots easier to hire it out to somebody who knows how to do it right and let the buyer pay for it.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM

Make sure they insure it and that it is theirs once their agent signs an acceptance document. That document includes a listing of any dings, paint scrapes, etc. on the plane.

I know someone who did such a document and the plane wasn't crated very well and suffered significant damage in the shipping container. The new owners called and asked for their money back because they didn't insure it. Because of his agreement as to the condition and time they took ownership, he did not have to return their money.

BTW, my friend agreed to fly it up to 250 miles to their agent, which was in Charleston, SC. That is where the owner's representative took ownership. They were responsible for draining the fuel and oil, disassembly and packing.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Ed
PM, and email sent.
John
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 AM

I had a plane shipped from Florida to Sydney several years back. I used an Australian shipper based in Melbourne with a lot of experience in shipping aircraft from the USA to Australia. They are called C&H Freight. They've shipped multiple Vans aircraft, among others.

C & H Freight

Things to think about:

Our quarantine laws are very, very strict (New Zealand is the same). Eg, if you have solid packing timber in your container, it must be treated and certified. All of it (unless it's highly processed). You do not want Quarantine personnel here deciding they will pull the plane out of the container, unpack it, and spray everything or destroy the packing material then shove the plane back in the container - and it has happened! Rubber tyres (fitted to rims or not) likewise are inspected for insect larvae, mud, dirt etc. Anything fitting that description will attract their wrath.

Customs, while expensive because they'll charge the 10% Federal GST on the purchase price (documentation will be required) before releasing the aircraft from the port, are the least of your worries. They just want the cash, and possibly will x-ray the container, then they'll likely leave you alone. Aussie Quarantine are the ones who can really ruin your day and paying them money won't save it.

Whoever you use, make sure they are aware of these nuances down under or it may cause significant heartache for seller and buyer when it gets to the docks. A 40' container with the aircraft..... and a Polaris..... in it was, if I recall, about $10k (Australian dollars) to ship here from pickup already packed in the container, to having the container dropped off at the hangar.

timber-packaging

Last edited by dutchroll : 09-27-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 AM

After considering weather, distance, time required, risks of all sorts, etc., it really doesnít make sense for me to fly the -8 VFR to the west coast. If the plane is already sold and paid for and somebody else flies it, thatís different.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."