What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 #2784

Ready for the scales...

Thanks Brian, but there are many many papers to be handled before flying:rolleyes:

Skyview lit up ok and brakes finally bled after some serious head scratching:)

Looks good, well better than good actually.

It is nice to see it completed (more or less) but now I regret even more that I sold it.

/Fredrik

(And thanks to all for all the support after my last post)

Looking great ..

And I wish I could be there for the first flight! In my opinion, I think you'll appreciate the slack in the tail spring/chains. As a suggestion, there's a better way to attach the chains to the rudder horn that will eliminate the elongating and wearing. I'll send you a photo of what I've done so you can see the difference. I'd be more specific but I cannot remember what the heck it's called! Old age encroaches......

I think this is what you are referring to. The chains connect to small eyebolts, which are bolted to the rudder horn and steering arm.

See pic below:

xmo03q.jpg

Thanks Carl, exactly what I was talking about!

First taxi...

Thanks everyone, feels great:)

Ok will get some "steering chain fasteners", don't want to scratch that new paint...

Put up a video of first taxi scuffing in brakes, testing engine, compass calibration etc. Filled up tanks, found small leakage from the left fuel sender. Tightened nut and now everything is ok:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UADZEzjsLGk

Static RPM is 2300, should I adjust prop? Whirlwind GA200L-716 70", 22degrees. Will start phase 1 with gear leg/wheel fairing off.

Preparations

Checking and double checking equipment before inspection, here's pics of static/dynamic, nice and steady:)

Will adjust prop to 23 degrees and see what it gives in static rpm.

And yes, to everyones amusement the word "fart" on the em'cy checklist is speed in swedish:rolleyes:

em'cy...

Yes well it kind of just made sense to name actions after how switches and levers are named but I agree it looks somewhat unordinary:D

Intensions were to make the checklist work for me and to be similar to the others I'm used to, also it's very preliminar and will be determined when phase 1 is finished I guess:rolleyes:

Currently severly engaged at work but will try to make it to the club on my lunch break, so maybe we meet.

Have a nice trip Magnus:)

First flight

Recently got the paperwork from local EAA and Transport Agency as well as the radio license after approved inspection of EAA/TA Surveyor:)

First flight took place june 30th at local airport Visby, Gotland (ESSV) and lasted 41 minutes.
Initially had a somewhat hard time to follow ATC maximum altitude instructions, this is a quick litte airplane and things happens much faster than in a PA-22 or TB10:D
Engine worked satisfactory, maybe fuel pressure is a bit on the high side. Have to check with a pressure gauge and compare with EFIS/EMS.
EFIS airspeed differed some from steam ASI at higher speeds, not sure why yet?
The airplane is also a little heavy on the left wing, to be sorted later on...

Overall very happy to have come to this phase of the project and I'm really looking forward to investigate behaviour and characteristics at flight trials.

Video of first flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRaFGijfLo

I guess it's time to move this project into another thread:)

Finally; a big thanks to VANS, VAF and everyone thats been involved in this project for making it come true.

Thanks// Carl

All the RV's are cool but the -4 holds a special place in my heart, I always love seeing a new RV-4 take to the air. Congratulations!!!

Congrats!!

Not going to lie...I had a juvenile chuckle when I read that your -4 "Farts" at 71 knots! Happy flying, and lets hope you never actually have to "fart" in her!

Fantastic news about the first flight!

Feels great to know that it has been in the air and that it worked so well.

Congratulations to a successful first flight!

/Fredrik

RV-4

Nicely done Carl, another RV-4 in the sky. You are going to love this airplane, but I suspect you already do!

Enjoy the thrill

Back