What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Sealant and Aft Skirt Gap

Hey RV family,
Getting close to the point of attaching the canopy - RV-9A Slider.
Is there a recommended sealant to put on the underside of the aft skirts in contact with the plexiglass to reduce water penetration? Especially concerned about the leading edge of the aft skirt. Same question for the side skirts and plexiglass junction...

Lastly, I am getting weary of the canopy. I have the gap at the aft edge of the side skirts to the fuselage skin flush for most of the length of the aft skirt from the top coming down the side of the fuselage skin. But I have a gap of 1/8 to 3/16 +/_ on the bottom portion of the aft skirt. I think I can reduce this some more. But for the guy not bent on building a show plane and getting a little low on grace for the canopy work, can you tell me I am close enough or is there really no excuse for having any gap?

I appreciate your time and interest to respond.

Everyone has this problem. I have the same issue on my RV 8. There are a few ways of handling it. Some people use the rubber stuff that seals the inside of a car door to seal the gap. I used filler and fiberglass to fill the gap, however there is still a small gap. There are different ways of handling it.

Back