What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen Micro Burst lights

Micro burst lights

I have used them on the last two planes RV 9A and RV6.5 ,and am using on the RV7A that we are building now. Great product no problems and saves a ton of weight over conventional strobe packages.

I'm using the micro burst tail light/strobe. Had it for about a year now. Very happy with it.

But Whelen Says

Huh. Whelen's data says:

"Product does not meet the requirements of 91.205(c), required equipment for night flight.
Airplanes certified for night operation should not consider this product."

This is at www.whelen.com/install/143/14360.pdf

So, is it legal for night flight or isn't it?

It's an attractive product at that price.

Dave

Has anyone tried these WHELEN MICROBURST II lights on their plane and found that they meet the requirements of 91.205?

The ad on Aircraft Spruce states:
Aircraft Spruce said:
Note: Product does not meet the requirements of 91.205 (c), required for night flight.

My question is, do they really don't meet the requirements or is it that Whelen hasn't tested them to that standard so they can charge more for lights that do meet the standard.

Contrary to the comment above, LSA aircraft can fly at night, if they are properly equipped and the pilot is properly rated.

Considered the microburst, but

got a great buy on (used but new) Whelen Orions ---- much brighter -- they will burn your eyeballs.

Ron

Back