VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM
az_gila's Avatar
az_gila az_gila is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 57AZ - NW Tucson area
Posts: 9,684
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
See above notes. Just researched builder log. Canopy hinge change to the "hook" style was early to mid 1991.
Drawing #52 (Drawn 12-89) for the -6 was changed (R2) in 6-92 with the note -

CHANGED TO "GOOSE NECK" HINGE AND ADDED SECTION DD
__________________
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 10,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Drawing #52 (Drawn 12-89) for the -6 was changed (R2) in 6-92 with the note -

CHANGED TO "GOOSE NECK" HINGE AND ADDED SECTION DD
Yeah, They weren't real quick with plans revisions back then.
My log shows: "8/18/91..Fitted forward canopy frame with new goose neck hinges. Trimmed canopy side rails & rear canopy bulkhead."
__________________
Mel Asberry..DAR since last century
A&P/EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor/Nat'l Test Pilot School
Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 PM
az_gila's Avatar
az_gila az_gila is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 57AZ - NW Tucson area
Posts: 9,684
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Yeah, They weren't real quick with plans revisions back then.
My log shows: "8/18/91..Fitted forward canopy frame with new goose neck hinges. Trimmed canopy side rails & rear canopy bulkhead."
Yes... The early -6 plans tended to be more of a guideline than actual plans...
__________________
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,600
Default

If you get air under that canopy, those struts don't stand a chance. The canopy will pull them right off, even at slow speeds. That canopy is a LOT of sail area.

I wish I had saved my old struts to prove this once and for all.

If you have the slits cut and release it, it will be gone.

Also, you can push up on the rear of the canopy and you will have the strength to get out. The challenge is, what will you hang up on, on the way out.

Those of you that do acro, do you practice egress? Do you have your passengers practice egress? Have you verified they have their parachutes on and tightened correctly?

Do you make sure you and your passengers have tightened the harnesses correctly? (Sub strap first, lap belt second, and shoulder straps last! Most people do the shoulder straps first, which is a big no-no!)
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Hartstoc's Avatar
Hartstoc Hartstoc is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sebastopol,CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
If you get air under that canopy, those struts don't stand a chance. The canopy will pull them right off, even at slow speeds. That canopy is a LOT of sail area.

I wish I had saved my old struts to prove this once and for all.

If you have the slits cut and release it, it will be gone.

Also, you can push up on the rear of the canopy and you will have the strength to get out. The challenge is, what will you hang up on, on the way out.

Those of you that do acro, do you practice egress? Do you have your passengers practice egress? Have you verified they have their parachutes on and tightened correctly?

Do you make sure you and your passengers have tightened the harnesses correctly? (Sub strap first, lap belt second, and shoulder straps last! Most people do the shoulder straps first, which is a big no-no!)
I believe that what you say here is true if the the aircraft is still moving forward at high velocity such that a great deal of lift is acting on the canopy, but Im concerned that the struts could be a problem if the aircraft is tumbling or gyrating wildly. Obviously, you are in unexplored territory if that happens anyway, but I think I have weakened the bolts to the point that they would probably break with virtually any canopy release scenario. If not, Id be making every effort to position myself to kick the canopy off if I had to, and Im sure the bolts would break then. There are no guarantees of anything where bailing out is concerned- you can only do your best to tilt the odds in your favor.

And yes, shoulder straps should not be particularly tight, only the lap belt. Having everyone properly buckled in and active verbal rehersing of bailout proceedures before each and every flight is crucial. Otis
__________________
Otis Holt-
RV-7A (bought)
Built Monnett Moni
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2018 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.