VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Wingtip NAV antenna

Can anyone recommend a good wingtip NAV antenna (VOR/LOC/GS)? Or tell me if there's no such thing? The one I have installed in my RV-7 is marginal and not getting it done. It's a strip antenna with balun loop. VOR is only reliable within 10-20 miles. I can barely capture a LOC at ~8 miles and get no GS except a frequent false GS when I'm almost overhead the airport.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM

Search for Bob Archer antennas and you will get a plethora of hits.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:32 PM

Might be worth checking the installation. The interwebs are littered with accounts of under-performing wingtip antennas, that are later found to be installed improperly. Grounding (poor, or wrong element grounded), coax polarity, coax routing, *other* wire routing, other stuff 'in the neighborhood', etc etc.

The coax and its connectors can have issues, also, of course.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Charlie
Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 PM

I had installed a Bob Archer in my 7A wing tip worked great 30 mile.
Dave
Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksel View Post
Can anyone recommend a good wingtip NAV antenna (VOR/LOC/GS)? Or tell me if there's no such thing? The one I have installed in my RV-7 is marginal and not getting it done. It's a strip antenna with balun loop. VOR is only reliable within 10-20 miles. I can barely capture a LOC at ~8 miles and get no GS except a frequent false GS when I'm almost overhead the airport.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=29765

Notes from when I installed the Archer antenna in my RV-6 many years ago. It still works great.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:05 PM

I agree that installation issues are a big part of the disappointment with the archer antenna. I pick up many nav stations at 100 nm.

Larry
Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I agree that installation issues are a big part of the disappointment with the archer antenna. I pick up many nav stations at 100 nm.

Larry
But it sounds like the OP doesn't have an "Archer-like" antenna from his description.

A simple wire type embedded in the wingtip would be expected to work poorly.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 01-25-2018, 07:02 AM

I installed a commercial whip antenna on the last wing rib. Bent slightly backwards to fit in under the fibreglass wingtip. Trimmed whip to length using antenna anlyzer and achieved great match. Will be used for secondary comm, no in flight results to report back on yet.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppakotze View Post
I installed a commercial whip antenna on the last wing rib. Bent slightly backwards to fit in under the fibreglass wingtip. Trimmed whip to length using antenna anlyzer and achieved great match. Will be used for secondary comm, no in flight results to report back on yet.
Since com transmissions (unlike VOR) use vertical polarization, you also should have mounted it as high (or low) on the rib as possible; and then bent it (close to the rib) down (or up) as much as possible.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Default Finally changed antenna

I had a low power radio and wingtip antenna in an RV4. Tried every possible positioning in the wingtip, and as vertical as possible with no good results. Reception seemed OK, but transmission range and angles limited. Went to a bent whip on the bottom under the pax seat, and a Garmin 200 radio. Now all is happiness, flight following radio com excellent, and the only limitation is not to park just underneath the tower. Ugly antenna now almost out of my sight under the aircraft, no measurable extra drag and the top of acft behind the pax seat is used for my adsb-out gps antenna. (It is actually under the canopy and works fine.)