What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I build ailerons/flaps before the wings?

BBaxR6

Hey guys/gals, my wing kit is arriving in a few weeks, and I was wondering if there's any compelling reason I can't build the ailerons/flaps first (just to lower the "daunting" factor a bit with all the wing jiggery/million hrs to prep wing ribs/etc). I searched around and saw some info about building them before the wing tanks, but didn't see anything about building them before the main wings. Thoughts?

Build order

Hey guys/gals, my wing kit is arriving in a few weeks, and I was wondering if there's any compelling reason I can't build the ailerons/flaps first (just to lower the "daunting" factor a bit with all the wing jiggery/million hrs to prep wing ribs/etc). I searched around and saw some info about building them before the wing tanks, but didn't see anything about building them before the main wings. Thoughts?

No reason. I would recommend flaps first. Ailerons are more complicated. Personally I would just build in order.

After the mess of the tanks and the monotony of the wings, the ailerons and flaps are a reward. Don?t eat dessert first! ;)

I built the ailerons and flaps first for the very reasons you mentioned. Also for space management. I just finished the flaps and am about to dig into the mains spars but so far no issues with doing things slightly out of order.

This questions has come up in the past and the general response is it is fine.

The vertical stabilizer is very easy to build and was the first thing I made. I'd get your emp and start with the VS.

If the flaps/ailerons are dessert, the thousands of wing ribs (seemingly) are definitely the vegetables.

#deathbydeburring

I did my flaps, then ailerons and then the wings.

In my case, I had about 2 months between finishing the empennage (at Synergy) and starting the wing kit. Doing the flaps and ailerons got me back in the building mode. When the wings were done, I was happy the control surfaces were ready to hang.

Thanks for the additional input everyone! I like the idea of using the flaps/ailerons to "get back into it" even though it's only been a few months since I finished the empennage.

Check your work table!

Having recently built new flaps to replace the twisted QB flaps in my kit, I would stress the importance of having a very flat work table.

When I was at Synergy, we spent about 30 minutes shimming the work table we used to make sure it was very flat. It worked. The QB flaps from Van's had about 3 degrees of twist span wise. The flaps we built were 0.1 degree.

Save a year

Save a year of your free time. Get a QB kit. The flaps and ailerons are mostly done.
A extra MC Donald?s job will make the $$ faster for a QB Kit than most could find an extra year of free time

Back