What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Bond, Rivet or Screw

Avengerboss

Well Known Member
Hey guy's I've got my canopy all drilled up and ready to secure to the frame, I chose not to bond but am worried about riveting! An -8 owner at our airport screwed his canopy to the frame with 6-32 screws and tapped the frame' no nuts. He has about 100hrs on it and everything look great. My question is with the frame material as thin as it is your only getting about 3-4 threads tapped in but since you putting screws in every 2" would this be enough?:confused:

Rivet and Bond

I recommend that you attach the canopy as per instructions. Be sure to use your debur tool, and take the edge off both sides of every hole. Then scuff the glass and the frame where they will come in contact. After the glass is riveted on, tape off the glass and frame, and put a bead of Sikaflex 295, on top and bottom, bonding the glass to the frame.

You have the advantage of all the strength the rivets deliver as per Van's design, and the glass being stabilized by bonding it to the frame. This should take the load off the individual rivets preventing cracks.

Sikaflex 295UV?

Any experience with Sikaflex 295UV? Description sounds the same as Sikaflex 295 with added UV protection...

Thanks,
Mike

Any one ever thought of or tried 3M 5200 instead of Sika? It appears to have greater tensile strength and very good shear strength. I've use it over the years on boats and it is very very tough. I'm guessing it's probably cheaper than Sika.

I have also used 5200 quite a bit and was also thinking it could make a good canopy adhesive. In marine applications, that stuff is tough as nails. It remains flexible even in constant UV and water/salt exposure.

Back