What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Push-in" fitting compatible with aluminum tubing?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Are those "push-in" fittings usually used with nylon tubing also compatible with 1/4" aluminum tubing for pitot/static? I can't find any documentation that covers this, but it sure would be handy if so.

Thanks!

not going to push an aluminum tube into a "airbrake" quick lock connector. But you can flare the tube, use an AN nut and sleeve, and adapt a quick lock connector for you nylon static line.

Tom

maybe

If I recall correctly, yes they do......or at least the ones from Stein do.
It has been a few years now, but I do not remember having to do adapters.
Call Stein for the real answer. The fittings and tubing are wonderful.

Are those "push-in" fittings usually used with nylon tubing also compatible with 1/4" aluminum tubing for pitot/static? I can't find any documentation that covers this, but it sure would be handy if so.

Thanks!

Sure, just break the edge so as not to cut the o-ring. I just installed my pitot with AOA and did the flare/adapter method as my tubing was 3/16".

One thing, some Al tubing is not all that smooth on the OD, so inspect and act appropriately.

Qualifier: Some of those push on connectors use metal and some plastic retainers, clearly the plastic retainers won't dig and hold with aluminum. Some won't even work with the very hard air brake tube.

As always, YMMV

Last edited:
You can also just flare the nylon tubing, same as you would the aluminum tubing. It makes a very clean transition without adapters.

You can also just flare the nylon tubing, same as you would the aluminum tubing. It makes a very clean transition without adapters.

This is also what I have done. Figured if it was good enough for Sikorsky it's good enough for me. There is a brown nut they use rather than the normal Blue but I don't know why.

Back