What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JD Air Parts Canopy Latch on -14?

JDAir Latch for RV 14

I purchased the JDair latch for my RV14-A Quickbuild and have not installed it yet. The supplied drawing does not match the RV14 rivet pattern around the latch. I think the drawing is for a prior Van's model. When I measured the slot for the JDair latch the dimensions appear leave a forward fuselage rivet cut in half. I requested a RV14 drawing from JDair, don't think they have one.

If any RV 14 builders have installed this latch on a RV14 QB I would greatly appreciate a scale drawing or template of the existing rivet pattern and required slot for the latch.

Looking at the online drawing the part looks much different (wider) than the original. Seems to me it would take quite a bit of alteration to make it fit especially if the original has already been installed. I'm thinking if I want to add a lock I'll drill a hole in the tab on the latch and use a padlock.

Two questions. First, how do you open the canopy from the outside? Second, what is the real advantage? I'm all for upgrades to my RV-14, but I'm not sure from what I see of this latch that it is a meaningful improvement.

I installed it on my RV14 QB. It requested some arrangements due to Van's latch already installed on QB. I had to well position the cutting and holes, but I love the final result.

30vlqoh.jpg

6f4co4.jpg

343nip3.jpg

xzrpz.jpg

I installed it on my RV14 QB. It requested some arrangements due to Van's latch already installed on QB. I had to well position the cutting and holes, but I love the final result.

I appears you did not install the key lock portion of the latch, or maybe not yet. How will you lock the canopy without it? :confused:

You get a solution that looks way better, like they say on JDAIR: "With this latch there are no parts extruding from the aircraft skin, it's a flush mount system. Simply push in on the forward part of the latch to release the main latch handle."

The part that protrudes from the skin with the stock setup is pretty minimal, isn't it?

Eric,
Is the template that is taped to your fuselage a 1:1 scale drawing? If so, can you post a .pdf copy so I can review. Many Thanks for the pics.

Lots of them!!

Can't give you exact numbers but I've sold lots of the canopy latches to RV14 builders.

As Eric mentioned, you have to adapt it to the 14 but it is not a huge undertaking. Like many of the parts for our planes a little thought, ingenuity and tools go into the process.

I do not have a drawing for the 14 because I don't have access to a 14 kit. I do plane to get a copy of that page of the instructions and see if we can do a drawing. Either way, from the many I've talked to, it was not a big deal to install.

Can't give you exact numbers but I've sold lots of the canopy latches to RV14 builders.

As Eric mentioned, you have to adapt it to the 14 but it is not a huge undertaking. Like many of the parts for our planes a little thought, ingenuity and tools go into the process.

I do not have a drawing for the 14 because I don't have access to a 14 kit. I do plane to get a copy of that page of the instructions and see if we can do a drawing. Either way, from the many I've talked to, it was not a big deal to install.

Darwin,
I have a QB Fuselage at KGEU, if you want to visit and take measurements send me a PM.

We did a retrofit on our RV-7A to the JD Air latch. It works well, looks great and has that "Lexus" feel versus the Van's latch which, while functional, is merely adequate.

Please provide a drawing for the RV14 latch I purchased.

Just don't want to take any chances of a mistake on the QB fuselage. That skin would take weeks to replace if the latch holes were misplaced using the older RV7 drawing. The risk is too great for me and I don't have time for the R&D work. Given the many latch's that have been sold, someone can replicate a drawing for the part seller.

I appears you did not install the key lock portion of the latch, or maybe not yet. How will you lock the canopy without it? :confused:

I'll install it in january, but I think to lock the rear of the latch pushrod C-01421 to prevent moving back when locked.

Does anyone have an un-installed JD Air Canopy Latch kit sitting on the shelf? I'm at the point where I really need to get the latch installed on my fuselage skin, but it's on back-order. If you're willing to lend / sell me your kit, I will gladly replace it as soon as the kit is back in stock at JD Air.

JD Air has indicated that his production run should be back in stock soon.

Back