What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A hinge pins for front hood

larrys

Well Known Member
We are building a RV14A and looking at the finish kit it shows the hinge around the front hood / engine covers. And the QB fuselage kit came with half the hinges installed on the lips around the firewall and the clip in the upper middle of the firewall for holding /pulling the hinge pins

How do you get to it to pull the pins for the top cover facing the cockpit - though the oil access door?

If that is the case what is another system that would work better? I assume I would check the motor area in a pre flight check, at first all the time.

I did note that "E" used Sky Bolts. It there a better system? That would not take a tool to open?

Thanks, Larry

Yep, the standard approach is to reach in through the oil door to install/remove the pins when taking the cowling on and off. It is hard, but not impossible and makes for a clean installation.

Other solutions for securing the cowling do exist, of course. I'm sure with their own pros and cons.

It's all about your angle of attack ... try standing on a stool so your elbow is at a more natural bend ... makes all the difference. Trying to install them standing on the ground is painful and if you have big arms almost impossible.

Also know that as they wear in it becomes a lot easier to install and remove them. Use plenty of Boelube the first 10-15 times.

I like the hinge pin system, keeps everything nice and snug and very clean looking.

Last edited:
Back