What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any 14 builders near Savannah, Ga?

60av8tor

Well Known Member
Didn't want to hijack the recent thread of the gentleman from Woodstock, Ga, so...

I have 99.999% settled on building a 14A. I am about to begin the workshop/tool build and really wanted to begin around the beginning of the year. One of my concerns is that I missed the last sport air work shop in Atlanta, and there is nothing close by on the schedule - which is out through March at this time. I had planned on taking the workshop and building the practice kits - taking my time leading up to beginning my build to build some confidence and work on my techniques. I really didn't want to begin without attending the workshop, but also don't want to wait until next summer to begin.

Anyone willing to let me watch, look, listen, and ask some questions some weekend? I currently have a 7A, so distance isn't such a big deal if you're building at an airport. I appreciate anyone willing to share some knowledge!;)

Last edited:
OKZ

Jon, there is a -14 wing set going together at Sandersville, Ga, under the watchful eye of Ray Lawrence. Guys have come over there for a week or so and built their empennages. He's assisted in 16 RV builds and also has a fastback -3 in the shop.

Call him at 478 232 9560 and tell him I sent you. Both my stepsons work for him and the oldest will take his A&P test in January.

Best,

Thanks for this info, Pierre. I wasn't aware of Ray's shop. A while back I was told about a place in Griffin, but I don't believe it is in operation anymore..?

One @ KCUB as well ...

Didn't want to hijack the recent thread of the gentleman from Woodstock, Ga, so...

I have 99.999% settled on building a 14A. I am about to begin the workshop/tool build and really wanted to begin around the beginning of the year. One of my concerns is that I missed the last sport air work shop in Atlanta, and there is nothing close by on the schedule - which is out through March at this time. I had planned on taking the workshop and building the practice kits - taking my time leading up to beginning my build to build some confidence and work on my techniques. I really didn't want to begin without attending the workshop, but also don't want to wait until next summer to begin.

Anyone willing to let me watch, look, listen, and ask some questions some weekend? I currently have a 7A, so distance isn't such a big deal if you're building at an airport. I appreciate anyone willing to share some knowledge!;)

There is an RV14 being started in Columbia, SC at KCUB.
I will let the builder say more when he gets a chance.

James

Good time

Jon, the wings have the upper skins on and they are just starting on the tanks, so it's a good time to come up...only a short hop in the -7. The flap attach brackets are on and how they're fastened is still visible. All the ribs are in place and open to see.

The emp kit just arrived and is inventoried but not started.

Best,

James

I appreciate the info, James. I just moved from Sumter last week. KCUB is still a short RV hop from here, however. BTW - I was the guy in the FBO at KSMS several weeks ago (maybe months now..?) when you dropped off the filters for RB. I was going to introduce myself, but felt awkward since only "knowing" you from seeing Team Aerodynamix perform. Thanks again!

Last edited:

James
Jon,
I am certain James is referring to my project. Please feel free to stop by any time. I have never been to the workshop you referred to but I did gain a lot of knowledge (and extra tools) doing the practice projects that Vans sells. We have a great EAA Chapter (242) and we have quite a few projects completed and ongoing at KCUB (RV 8s, 9s, 7s, 6s, 4s, 14, 12, thunder mustang, b-25 mitchell bomber, etc, etc.) and all of the RV builders are extremely generous with their time and expertise and are always willing to give advice. Im currently finishing the Vertical Stabilizer and I am starting on the rudder. James and many of the other builders at our airport are often at my hangar helping with the project, so if I cant answer your questions (likely) there are plenty here who can. Hope to see you over here soon.
Cantzon

Please say howdy next time!

I appreciate the info, James. I just moved from Sumter last week. KCUB is still a short RV hop from here, however. BTW - I was the guy in the FBO at KSMS several weeks ago (maybe months now..?) when you dropped off the filters for RB. I was going to introduce myself, but felt awkward since only "knowing" you from seeing Team Aerodynamix perform. Thanks again!

PLEASE introduce yourself the next time we are in the same space!!! :)

Would love to chat with ya.

James

Jon, I'll be at the hangar all day this Saturday working on my project (will be starting early) and we are having a group toast to celebrate the Doolittle Raid in my hangar Y-1 starting at 5:30 pm. Please feel free to stop by and spend some time with us.

Cantzon,

I truly appreciate the invite. Unfortunately we have friends visiting this weekend. I'd love to head your way another weekend, however.

Pierre,

I visited KOKZ yesterday - met with Ray and your boys showed me the 14. A lot of RVs in his shop - including one nice 10A front and center! I'm going to use Ray for my upcoming conditional and a bit of avionics work. I'll also more than likely complete my empennage under Ray's watchful eye until I get my building feet under me:D. Thanks a lot for this information - great to have a place like this a short, .5 RV flight away. Hope your recovery is going well.

Thanks

Jon, the recovery is doing just wonderful...thanks. Just had post-op inspection this morning. The yellow -10 is mine..in for an autopilot upgrade for coupled approaches...Ray is also an expert wiring A@P, having modded a bunch of steam gauge airplanes to new instrument glass panels...he can do it all.

He also does my 2 Air Tractor annuals shortly. Look forward to meeting you soon.

Best.

Back