What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page Revisions and Soft Start Ignition

jte65

Well Known Member
As per another thread, there have been many revised plan pages added to the Van's website. I found two items of note for those that have recently installed their powerplant. Firstly, section 45 now describes the installation of a soft start wiring harness (page 45-07 and part number WH-0007). This is subsequently attached to the ignition module per a new page in section 46 (46-13). I received my powerplant kit after the effective date of these pages (they were effective 2/22/10) but my kit did not include this new harness. However, my Rotax does have the soft start ignition module (identified by a yellow sticker). Anyone else noted this? I am not sure if the engine should even be started if it has this feature but no soft start harness has been installed. I have posed the question to Van's tech support and also asked whether they will be sending the harness to those that have engines with soft start modules. Looks relatively easy to add (attaches to the solenoid) and I cannot see that anything else is required.

Also noticed the addition of a 'friction comb' to the cabin heat cable.

Scott- any insight on either of these items?

Jeff

I'll be interested in the information you get from Vans. I received my power plant mid april and it did not have the updated plans or the WH-0007 wire.

I also noted the following from the 31-05 section... an ideas on the noise filter? Could it be the ES-00103 filter in the Lighting Kit section 40-10?

NOTE: An optional ES NOISE FILTER PUMP may be installed at this time
to reduce the possibility of audio noise from the fuel pump entering the
audio system. If installing the ES NOISE FILTER PUMP skip Step 6 and
Step 7.

Thanks,
-Ron

Fuel pump noise filter

The fuel pump definitely causes a "tik-tik-tik" electrical noise in the audio system. I called Van's about this about a month ago and they said they were designing a noise filter for the pump circuit similar to the ES-00103 filter, but I don't think it is the same filter.
I have a filter that plugs into the 3.5mm audio jack http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html?tp=2653, and it works well, but the ES filter from Van's will be a cleaner application.

Tony

Soft Start NYA

Called Van's today and was told it will be "a couple of weeks" before the soft start harness is available.

Wayne 120241 (Engine on!)

As per another thread, there have been many revised plan pages added to the Van's website. I found two items of note for those that have recently installed their powerplant. Firstly, section 45 now describes the installation of a soft start wiring harness (page 45-07 and part number WH-0007). This is subsequently attached to the ignition module per a new page in section 46 (46-13). I received my powerplant kit after the effective date of these pages (they were effective 2/22/10) but my kit did not include this new harness. However, my Rotax does have the soft start ignition module (identified by a yellow sticker). Anyone else noted this? I am not sure if the engine should even be started if it has this feature but no soft start harness has been installed. I have posed the question to Van's tech support and also asked whether they will be sending the harness to those that have engines with soft start modules. Looks relatively easy to add (attaches to the solenoid) and I cannot see that anything else is required.

Also noticed the addition of a 'friction comb' to the cabin heat cable.

Scott- any insight on either of these items?

Jeff

The soft start function was something we had to find out by accident (when I went to Rotax factory training school). No one from Rotax ever mentioned it. That is the majority of the reason that engines shipped without Van's supplying the plans and parts for connecting it.

There is nothing wrong with operating a soft start capable engine without it enabled. It is considered optional by Rotax, though there are no reasons not to utilize it. If it is not enabled, the engine simply operates the same as the earlier versions that didn't have it.

It will be very easy for builders to add it once the harness (basically two short wires with the proper pins and terminals pre-attached) is available.

The friction comb was added to increase the friction of the heater control so that it has less of a tenancy to move when a partial heat setting is selected.

Follow-up

Thanks Scott for the additional insights.

I also heard back from Ken Scott. He indicated the soft start harness would go out very soon to those who have engines with the soft start ignition modules (he indicated Van's knows who has the capable engines). I read someplace else that the soft start ignition is new from Rotax so sounds like only the engines shipped in the last few months have it.

I did not specifically ask whether everyone would be getting the friction comb.

Jeff

Any more info?

Has anyone spoken to Van's this week about the soft start cable, the fuel pump filter, or the "comb"?

Are they going to ship these out to all of us who have the FWF kits, or do we have to call them? Would be nice to know.

The soft-start module has been around for years as an after market option. It was approved by Rotax as a "good thing" about a year ago, and now is available through Rotax as an option.

The module alters the timing on one mag so the start is "easier" on the kick back issue. I've never needed one since being taught the proper starting procedure that has worked very well in getting the engine started without the rattle & bounce / kickback that sometimes occurs.

Over the years I was taught to;

1. Preheat the engine if temps are below 30F.
2. Mags off, choke out, throttle set to idle, engage starter for 2-3 seconds (warm weather), 4-5 seconds (cold weather), disengage starter.
3. Mags on, choke in, throttle set to proper idle speed, start engine.

The above is for cold starts only, hot starts is just turn the key, mags on of course.

Works like a charm and no kick back.

Having said all that, I will be adding the soft start module as an added layer of protection.

Last edited:
The soft-start module has been around for years as an after market option. It was approved by Rotax as a "good thing" about a year ago, and now is available through Rotax as an option.

Actually Larry, Rotax has incorporated it into their ignition system. It now comes standard (not an option).
It is present on both ignition modules so there is no special starting procedure.

There is more detailed info in the latest issue of the RVator
http://www.vansaircraft.com/RVator/2010/2-2010-RVator.pdf

Surely you always read every word, don't you Larry? :D

Sorry, I'm too busy flying the -12! :D Seriously, That was a great article on the 912s! Keep them coming!

The soft start module is a rare case where an after market vendor made something the OEM liked and incorporated into the engine. Pretty cool.

Are the modules coming for those who don't have them or are we going to have to buy them on our own?

Last edited:
Larry and Reading

Actually Larry, Rotax has incorporated it into their ignition system. It now comes standard (not an option).
It is present on both ignition modules so there is no special starting procedure.

There is more detailed info in the latest issue of the RVator
http://www.vansaircraft.com/RVator/2010/2-2010-RVator.pdf

Thats's why Nebraska moved to the Big Ten Scott, the Big 12 just felt reading shouldn't be optional. Good thing your plans have pictures! lol

Are the modules coming for those who don't have them or are we going to have to buy them on our own?

If you have a green ignition module label and you want the soft start feature you will have to purchase the aftermarket unit. It is not required equipment, but is probably cheap insurance.

Scott (or anybody),

Do you have any word on whether the new items - soft start cable and fuel pump noise filter will be sent automatically, or do we have to call Van's to order them?

John

Do you have any word on whether the new items - soft start cable and fuel pump noise filter will be sent automatically, or do we have to call Van's to order them?

John:

The response I received from Van's indicated that for those who have engines with soft start ignition modules, the cable will come automatically (Ken Scott indicated very soon). He indicated that Van's knows who needs them. I did not ask about the friction comb and fuel pump noise filter however.

Jeff

Green ignition modules

Scott, ref your post #13 above, I have the green ignition modules and have added the aftermarket soft start module. In this instance, although I have the purple soft start wires in my harness, I assume I can just discard these? I cannot see any need for them in my set up. Thanks. Jim D

Scott, ref your post #13 above, I have the green ignition modules and have added the aftermarket soft start module. In this instance, although I have the purple soft start wires in my harness, I assume I can just discard these? I cannot see any need for them in my set up. Thanks. Jim D

Correct.
They are not used with the after market soft start (it self activates based on engine cranking speed).
I would still leave the wires in place in case the modules ever get replaced in the future because of failure, etc.
Be sure to follow the starting instructions supplied with the soft start..... only switch on the ign. (A or B) that has the soft start while cranking and then as soon as the engine fires switch on the other.

Correct.
They are not used with the after market soft start (it self activates based on engine cranking speed).
I would still leave the wires in place in case the modules ever get replaced in the future because of failure, etc.
Be sure to follow the starting instructions supplied with the soft start..... only switch on the ign. (A or B) that has the soft start while cranking and then as soon as the engine fires switch on the other.

I was thinking that, even if both ignition switches are on (we're talking after market installation), one doesn't kick in until after about 7 seconds?

Jim

I was thinking that, even if both ignition switches are on (we're talking after market installation), one doesn't kick in until after about 7 seconds?

Jim

Maybe so, but that is not how it works.

If you have the after market soft start modules they self retard the timing while cranking and for a specific delay time from the moment that the engine starts and increases in RPM (that is why if you only have one you leave the second ign. off during start because it will not have retarded timing). Only if you have installed two aftermarket soft start modules (one for each ign.) should both be on for start. This is detailed in the instructions that come with the modules.

If you have the most recent generation ign. modules (yellow label) they use a sense wire connected to each ign. module that is switched by the starter circuit (the two purple wires mentioned previously). In this case both ign. are switch into retarded timing mode during start so both ign. can be on during start.

Maybe so, but that is not how it works.

If you have the after market soft start modules they self retard the timing while cranking and for a specific delay time from the moment that the engine starts and increases in RPM (that is why if you only have one you leave the second ign. off during start because it will not have retarded timing). Only if you have installed two aftermarket soft start modules (one for each ign.) should both be on for start. This is detailed in the instructions that come with the modules.

If you have the most recent generation ign. modules (yellow label) they use a sense wire connected to each ign. module that is switched by the starter circuit (the two purple wires mentioned previously). In this case both ign. are switch into retarded timing mode during start so both ign. can be on during start.

Thanks Scott.

In re-reading what I wrote I can see that I wasn't very clear. I do have two after market modules installed, so looks like I've been doing it right. Thanks for the input. These modules were purchased and installed on my Rans S-6S when Perry Robertson, with me helping, pulled the engine and did the 5 year hose change. I'm thankful he was doing the work, since they came with zero documentation.

I don't have the engine for my RV12 yet.

Jim

Back