What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suggestions for a retractable tray

scsmith

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas.

On my RV-8, I would like to have a retractable tray that slides out from the instrument panel lower lip, that would hold my tablet (iFly720). Ideally when retracted, it would project out from the panel some minimal distance, and perhaps provide a feature for hanging a headset on. When pulled out, it would present the full view of the tablet.

I'd like to do this with a bare minimum of intrusion into the existing panel support structure.

What have some of you done?

Also consider knee room, wouldn't work for me... Put my iPad mini on a ram yoke mount attached to the right canopy rail... Movable, works well...

Wouldn't you lose valuable stick length?

I'm thinking over to the right side, under the ignition switch and hobbs meter. Doesn't take away knee room either (as long as it doesn't project downward too much or inboard too much)

A few different ways..

There are a few ways you can do this... But I have a few questions.

Do you want it to always hold the tablet (store it when closed) and allow you to see it when open?

How do you want the tablet positioned when opened? I would assume screen parallel to the panel?

Does the tablet need to be secured in the tray when it is open and being used? Do you have a method to secure the tablet in mind?

There are a few ways you can do this... But I have a few questions.

Do you want it to always hold the tablet (store it when closed) and allow you to see it when open?
Yes
How do you want the tablet positioned when opened? I would assume screen parallel to the panel?

No, it can remain flat. I can see it fine that way.

Does the tablet need to be secured in the tray when it is open and being used? Do you have a method to secure the tablet in mind?
Probably velcro. Or maybe some kind of spring clip so it is easy to remove.

I'm really thinking of a very light-duty sliding tray.

Back