What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron push rod travel ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
While setting up my roll servo I noticed the aileron pushrod travel is not equal/symetrical in both directions. Ie. with the stick perfectly centered in the fuse frame, the extreme aileron pushrod travel veries 1/4" between left and right. With easily centered aileron bellcranks on Flogiston spars, this will yeild a different response between left and right roll input. My suspicion is the variance in the torque tube weldments has been there forevever and not a big deal. I can correct it with significant adjustments of the pushod bellcrank hole locations.

Any input/comment appreciated.

The spacers next to rod-end bearing in the A-407 bracket will also influence left-right aileron deflection differences. Of course trying to adjust those spacers may result in having to enlarge the hole in the rear wing spar.

view

Finn

Progress report

I have measured the bellcranck weldment on the stick torque tube. The bolt holes for the pushrod heimjoints are accurately equidistant from the torque tube centerline. So displacement should be symetrical (equal both direction of rotation). But, the stick mounting weldments (pilot and pax) are not at 90degrees with the aileron bellcrank bolt holes ! My plan is to drill the pilot stick mounting holes oversize in the mill at 90degrees and rebush for the stck bolt.
I will pay attention the spacers in the wing, thanks.

FWI re: component accuracy

:eek:
This may not be unique to RV4 ? I set up the aileron torque tube push rod weldment in my milling machine and rebored the stick bolt holes parallel with the push tube heim joint bolts. Now the travel of the aileron push tube is PERFECTLY equal left and right.

Back