What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder leading edge holes

You're probably the best judge of what's needed to move the parts toward the center. Look to see what can be done in the corner area to move them closer, maybe rounding the corner a little or bending the flange to get the skin closer to the rib,or changing the radius of curvature of the skins slightly. Then try using a clamp to move them closer along with an awl to try and center the holes. If still no go, repeat the process. If absolutely impossible, go with a larger rivet. Aluminum is soft and with enough colorful language and naturally-carbonated beverages it will bend to your will..... just don't bend it in the wrong place... :)

Last edited:
Like the others, I too had trouble here. Not sure how many times I cleco'd and uncleco'd that assembly. Double checked to see if I had the left lapping over the right etc. My assembly looked exactly like yours.

In the end I found that it just took a ton of massaging. I know that's not what you want to hear because we're not really sure what that means....but it worked. I made sure the skeleton underneath the skins was correct, took the first 6-8 clecos out of the sides, squeezed the skins for all I was worth, did whatever I could to get a cleco through both pieces.

Once I got a cleco through both pieces (will be at an angle at first), used a bit of leverage to line the holes up. Since the front of the rudder has a very slight radius, the cleco's will be at a small angle (outward) even when everything is properly lined up.

Short version: It will go, use patience and tenacity.

By the way, I don't think the plans all for it, but it might be a good idea to put a slight break on the overlapping skin.

IsUdZgO.png

This did not give me issues. Did you complete this step?

Having recently completed this step, I ran into a similar issue. Once I got the proper skin on top I used a tapered alignment punch to encourage the holes to line up. Cleaveland tools has this one on their website for the princely sum of $2.90.

I use it all the time to coax the hole alignment before riveting.

In the HF aviation department you can get a set of punches of various sizes. I used my grinder to taper the 3/32" and 1/8" punches to make into alignment tools. The remainder act as a nice set of drift punches when you need to push out a screw or bolt from a binding close fit hole.

Back