What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready built Tool Kits

Surfdoc

Finally broke down and ordered the -9 assembly manual (a while back) with empennage kit soon to follow. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions between the "Cleveland" vs. "Brown Tool" RV tool sets. I have been trying to find used tools and after all is added up, I found it come to more cost than just purchasing a ready to go set. Any and all comments are appreciated.

I was very happy with The Cleaveland RV tool kit. I did add some items later; the Main Squeeze riveting/dimpling tool is excellent, and investing in all the other interchangeable yokes was wise. I also added a narrow-shoe bucking bar to the arsenal. The close-quarters dimpling dies are very useful, but stock up on mandrels. You can order the larger ones separately, but the smaller ones are merely finishing nails that can be bought at any hardware store. Also invest in a set of jeweler's files for deburring tight areas.

Very happy with Cleavland. Good pricing, and great customer support.

I believe they will let you customize the kit (i.e. you still get a bit of a discount if you add or delete some items).

I've used them to build five airplanes now, and Annette and Mike have always been great.

-Dan

+1 for Isham's kit .. http://planetools.com/products/50f65uac39s8wxgmvn5n32h3t9cj7h

the only thing I replaced was the chinese pneumatic squeezer he includes with his kit, I recommend the Cleveland US manufactured version .. the one Isham supplies seems to be hit and miss on quality .. mine did not have a good cam and it just slammed shut and not knowing any better I missed a *lot* of early opportunities to use a squeezer vs the rivet gun .. and of course used it for months not realizing it wasn't all it should have been so got to buy that tool twice ;)

Last edited:
I bought the toolkit from Isham and my only recommendation is to get a couple more drill bits than you think you'll need.

You can't go wrong with any set

I have been trying to find used tools and after all is added up, I found it come to more cost than just purchasing a ready to go set. Any and all comments are appreciated.

It shouldn't be unless you are hunting for top brands. Or your abacus is missing a bead. :D

I spent around $600 at Oshkosh booth (Avery) and it was enough to complete the empennage. Compressor was extra. :D

Back