VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Carb heat flange

I received my heat muff and flange from Robbinswings the other day, unfortunately I had already made the flapper door and there was no way it was going to fit. My carb must sit further foward on the sump than most. 8 hours later I've got my flange fitted...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Figuring out panel layout...

My youngest helping me with panel dimensions.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Panel

I decided to make the panel 3/4 inch longer to match the bottom of the air vents and give me more of a fudge factor for fitting the avionics and switches. Stock panel theoretically would fit everything. The nutplate between two lines is about 3/8 inch for overlap of panel face. The face itself is another 3/8 taller for the total 3/4 inch.
I'm trying to piece it together without buying to much extra metal, hopefully it won't look pieced together when I'm done.

I really need a bandsaw but at this point in the project I'm pretty handy with the die grinder and with my daughter holding the workpiece it came out very straight.

In the panel, next to work on the vent attachments.

Last edited by crabandy : 01-23-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM

I thought the edges of the holes were a little thin but it's more support than Van's plans so I'm going with it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Lightbulb

FAB to carb mounting plate, I used a homemade cork gasket between the plate and the carb as well as area washers to hopefully help keep it from cracking.

Still trying to come up with a decent seal between the cowl and the FAB, the plans way seems to be backwards to me but here's a version of it. Seems like I should attach and seal the fabric to the outside of the cowl scoop and have the fabric lay on the inside of FaB.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM

I'm not a fan of the fit, more of a flapper than a seal. Time to break out the die grinder and fiberglass

Last edited by crabandy : 01-29-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM

I had to step away from the FAB to cowl seal. Installed the exhaust minus muff and tailpipe supports. One crossover pipe was slightly egg shaped, Larry said it was normal and to just tap it (don't get mad at it) back into round with a rubber mallet, once the pipes expand a couple of times they will find their own fit.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM

EGT probes, #3 cylinder proved to be the tightest fit and dictated the distance (2 inches) to clear the pin and stay the required 2-4 inches from the head.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM

Installed and sealed baffles, safety wired several fittings and attempted to figure out routing to install red cube fuel flow without any luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM

I cutoff and reglassed the front of the FAB to make the inside flush with the outside of the cowl scoop.

I made a clamp and will glue and seal it for final fitting.

Tuck the fabric inside the cowl scoop and fit cowl and its close, just a tad more trimming to get it to lay flat.