Back seat rudder pedals:

Landing gear and starting FWF:

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:18 PM

And more updates...

Service bulletin surgery on the horizontal stab and installing it on the fuse (the first time (of many)):

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 PM

Lighting and other stuff...

I picked up all my lighting from Mike at Team Aerodynamics - new PAR38 sized leading edge mounting brackets, and four Whelen LED PAR38 lights (two landing, two taxi) as well as Whelen 600 LED wingtip nav/strobe/position lights. Great stuff. Also got a pair of fancier wingtips with landing light mounts built-in made by RMD (which was on my field here but closed in AUgust) and now manufactured by Knots2U. I have those same wingtips on my Cherokee, decided I liked them enough and wanted them on the -8A as well.

Exempt, but paid anyhow

Last edited by greghughespdx : 11-01-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:37 PM

Back to empennage...

Recently most of the work has been on elevators and rudder and stabilizer hanging, fitting, etc. Just last night the tail feathers went on the fuselage for good (I hope hah).

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Default Prop?

Very nice workmanship. Which Prop are you planning to use?
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2017
Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny King View Post
Very nice workmanship. Which Prop are you planning to use?
Thanks Danny. It has it's share of dings, thanks to my sometimes-all-thumbs skills hah.

Actually, I just this week ordered a Whirl Wind Aviation 74RV constant-speed, two-blade prop. Pretty excited about that, did a lot of research and finally came to that decision.

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 AM

Default It's been 10 months??

So, apparently I forgot to update this for about ten months. Time to catch up a bit, then.

At last update I was working on installing the empennage and elevator assembly. Getting it all hooked up and moving happened shortly after, and was a motivation moment for sure. Whenever big pieced get added, and especially when you can move something somewhere on the project and something at the other ends moves as a result, well it just feels More Real.

Click for some video action:

Made a small modification to the custom throttle quadrant.

Rob and Jeffrey over at Advanced Flight Systems surprised me with an email that essentially said, "Hey there, we have your RV-8 panel cut out and ready to install!" Well, that cemented that decision hah. The Hickmans and team are awesome. Great people and a great product. Their Quick Panels are laser cut and custom fit. This one will have a couple 10-inch 5600 touch screens and most likely an Avidyne 440.

Then things started to get a little, well, confusing and then complicated in the build process. More on that in the next post...

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 AM

As I was fitting the top-forward fuselage skin, I found that things just were not lining up or fitting right. There were gaps and the instrument panel just wasn't fitting right (neither the Vans panel nor the AFS panel structure. In addition, when I did get the panel to fit and things to line up, the already-drilled holes were quickly getting to be a bit out of whack and mis-aligned...

It actually took a while to figure out what was up. In the end, it was a pretty simple issue (with a relatively complex fix). There are two strips of aluminum that are to be sandwiched between the upper forward skin and both the firewall bulkhead and the bulkhead that separates the baggage compartment from the avionics bay. Before I got the kit, the skin had been installed and the bulkheads match-drilled, without those spacers. Simple mistake and easy to make, but it meant I had to do some significant addition of materials and keeper rivets and additional holes, etc. to ensure a sound structure. The Vans staff was super helpful in validating the issue and resolution, and in encouraging me to work through some frustrating moments. I really like those guys. When I'd get frustrated with the situation, I just worked on something else. Eventually (emphasis on that word hah) everything was properly spaced, shimmed and reinforced. In reality, this was my biggest opportunity thus far in the project to figure out how to deal with something unexpected, difficult to figure out and frustrating -- and which really just had to be addressed. It ended up being a good learning (and character building, hah) experience in the end. I have an extra 6-8 ounces of metal in the plane as a result, but I believe I'll live.

Cutting top forward skin:

Get frustrated? Switch to learning how to deal with fiberglass for a while, you'll feel so much better!

Click for video - really crappy initial fit

These tips were 16 years old when I started working with them. The fiberglass was hard and a little brittle. My approximate order of operations to fix them up was:heat gun for some significant reshaping of the warped tips, followed by foam inserts to help hold shape and provide something to lay up glass on top of, then glass fabric followed by a mix of micro and flox.

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 AM

These tips were 16 years old when I started working with them. The fiberglass was hard and a little brittle. My approximate order of operations to fix them up was:heat gun for some significant reshaping of the warped tips, followed by foam inserts to help hold shape and provide something to lay up glass on top of, then glass fabric followed by a mix of micro and flox.

In the early phases of learning/adjusting/glassing the tips they honestly looked like a pre-school art project. Looking back at the photos, I laugh. But in the end, not too bad.

Click for video:

I had to learn how not to do things, too. Hah. Some good learning. The nice thing about fiberglass is that if you screw it up you can just sand it off and try again. Well, for the most part.

Don't skip this important piece of equipment. Finding out the hard way how important this is simply sucks. No fun. Wear a real filter/respirator when you're sanding fiberglass, period.

I'd spent a little time helping here and there with the TeenFlight Portland RV-12 fiberglass as part of mentoring there, but really this project was the true learning place for me. It was essentially all new. Metal is pretty easy once you figure it out, and fiberglass wasn't hard to learn either - just different. Now I'm one of those sick guys who actually kind of enjoys it!

Just realized I have no photos of the finished tips. Might have to take a few. Lots of things I have no detail photos of.

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 AM

At some point, everything started to happen all at once, and in a phase of the project where lots of work results in little visual results. I think those are the phases that are hardest for me to stay motivated in. So I have to keep pushing through it and toss a couple cushion in there and pretend it's an airplane hah.

Discovered the Superior cold air sump doesn't have the same layout or geometry as a standard Lycoming sump, so the throttle cable bracket that comes with the standard kit won't work. Fabrication time. Aluminum first, then later made it up in steel.

Decided my fancy (read: heavy) interior really requires black frames and weldments for the roll bar and whatnot. Found some tough automotive trim flat black paint that I like. Pretty tough stuff.

Took the long way around on the empennage fiberglass fairing. Learned a lot. Again.

A break to make some airplane noises:

Exempt, but paid anyhow