- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 AM

Like the photos !

Slooow RV6, no hole, builder in UK
Paid up for 2015 ...
Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Ok so with this question it will be obvious that i know very little about the kits but this is why I'm asking.

I am thinking about possibly embarking on this journey maybe this year or next but would like to learn more about the tasks involved. So here is my ignorant question. I notice you have had to do some drilling. Why is that?

I thought the newer kits and one of the benefits of it excluding the RV4 was that all the holes were "matched" for you and done to insure everything is aligned correctly. I think i read somewhere you have gone through some steps a few times with the hingeing having to reorder parts because of misaligned drilling.

Am i incorrect to assume that the new kits are all matched drilled? I had talked to a few builders and they say they are? Why is yours not pre drilled?
Any comments to help educate me? Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Not quite fully matched hole.

Sorry I took so long to reply, too busy building! The kits are mostly matched hole but not entirely. Broadly speaking the parts that are manufactured by Vans from sheet or angle such as skins, ribs and spars, will be match drilled during the manufacture. However some components are simply purchased "off the shelf" and hinge sections are one of those. I'm sure it may be possible to have these items pre drilled but it would add considerably and needlessly to the cost, and the RV's are renowned for being fantastic value kits.

There are other areas and other reasons for not having matched holes. I think that whilst the computer manufactured components can be made to align very well there are variables that mean they won't always align perfectly. In the case of the trim tab the trailing edge bend could vary somewhat and so its probably best to align and drill the parts after the bends are made. There are many areas in the HS centre section where pre drilled holes are not provided, and I think that this is again the reason. The forward spars must be bent slightly by the builder (again, probably saving cost) and therefore most of the centre section is only drilled once all these parts are aligned.

At the end of the day it doesn't quite just bolt together. If it did then it would probably look like it! But RV's don't look like they've been built in a garage, they look professionally built, and that means there is going to be a certain amount of craftsmanship required of the builder. Don't let that worry you though, it is not as hard as it may seem and the parts are very well priced when you do need to have another go. The hinge section I had to replace was $8.50 plus shipping, and that effectively gave me 2 more tries, since you only need half of the hinge.

All the best and please don't let my inability to get a simple job right dissuade you from trying it for yourself, you'll probably nail it first time!
Paid 2017
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Octaveus View Post
Really nice work Ed! Congrats! I admire your work (replacement pieces must be hard to get in Zimbabwe)
Thanks Garet, you're not wrong about the cost of shipping parts! Fortunately I get to visit the US several times a year for work so I can pick up parts then.
Paid 2017
Old 10-18-2014, 09:49 PM

Default Aviation in Africa

Ed, I spent a couple years in Liberia in happier times and was fortunate enough to visit your country. Import duties doubled the cost of everything shipped from US. Hope your kit is not subject to them. What's GA like in Zimbabwe? Can you cross borders without much paperwork? Would love to explore Africa in an RV.

John

Last edited by jpowell13 : 10-18-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Hey John, GA is pretty strong here, but like most places there is a strong shift towards experimentals and LSA's. You could travel around Southern Africa very easily in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. Zimbabwe still requires all A to B flights to file a flight plan 12 hours in advance which is a PITA, but just requires some planning. Zambia recently banned all Non type certified aircraft, a short sighted move that will hopefully be reversed sooner rather than later! Further North all bets are off.
Paid 2017
Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info Ed. Hope you finish that 7 quickly and that the regs loosen up there before your first flight. I'd think about mounting some really loud air horns on your cowling to scare the giraffes off the runways before trying those bush strips.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 PM

Its been too long since the last update, much progress to report!
Firstly the finished left elevator/ trim tab alignment that gave me so much grief
IMG_0595 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0596 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And finally got to fit control surfaces. This was quite exciting and all went well.

IMG_0599 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Finally I drilled the elevator horns and the empennage was complete
Paid 2017

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-22-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 PM

On to the wings!

IMG_0600 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0600 by Ed Fleming, on Flick
Paid 2017

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-23-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM

IMG_0610 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrIMG_0613 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrIMG_0614 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrIMG_0615 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrIMG_0617 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
Paid 2017

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-22-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fix photo links