What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else did you consider

thoma015

Well Known Member
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. Depending on the outcome of some news I am set to hear about in 2 weeks, i could start my first build. So I am in the very (pre) early stages of this, but I wanted to get your insight. What other home built airplanes did you consider to fulfill the mission you get with the 7 (other than other vans models)? I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and want to thank you in advanced for all the help.

Last edited:
Hi Hawk,
First off (on Mike Starkey's behalf), welcome to the good ship VAF.

I started wanting to build a Titan T-51...still do. However, I want my bride to fly with me, and she does NOT want to fly in the back seat of anything. She wants to sit beside me.

I then looked at the RV-7 and the Mustang II. I actually like the looks of the Mustang II more, particularly the wing's shape. Performance is close. However, I reasoned that I should pick an aircraft kit whose chances of successful completion are highest. Like all Van's kits, the RV-7 construction is well proven and, in my case, achievable. In addition, RV's have huge amounts of support. Therefore, I selected the RV.

The more I build, the more I've come to truly love this design, particularly with the options I selected (tipper, tricycle, etc). I believe when we finally get "Kelli Girl" airborne on our future XC flights, we'll find that traveling in the RV is more comfortable than the Mustang II.

On a side note, I thought briefly about a Glassair. Fiberglass kicks my butt, so I took less time thinking about it than it took to type this paragraph.

Hope that helps.

Welcome

Welcome Hawk
Like Scroll said...
Pre-punched & proven with lots of builder support= greatest possibility of success.

Reasearch!!

The big factor for me was that I only can have one plane (for now), so it had to be one that could be good at everything. Short trips, Long trips, aerobatics, etc... I had my eye on the glassair ii, iii and the Vans.

Then I had to factor in build method. Aluminum suited my build situation much better. I only had short blocks of time (sometimes only an hour a night) and I wanted to work in my garage for as much as I could. Fiberglass often requires you to commit a few more hours in a given work period. I also wanted a splashy paint job. So that ruled out fiberglass (Fiberglass planes can only be primarily white)

I also liked the thought of Aluminum. There is just something to it that I was attracted to. I think it is the material of the golden age of flying and I wanted to experience what those plane builders where doing. So then Vans was it for me.

I looked at all the other models, and for me I settled on side by side just because I like the idea of having someone sit beside me on long flights. (Although tandem models are a bit faster...darn).

Had I not be set on a side by side or pre-punched, I might have looked into a Harmon Rocket II (Which is a modification of a Van's Kit) ....Wow that plane gives me goosebumps!!!!

Inline with Wirejocks comments about great support...The 7 is very popular so they is a ton of build logs and aftermarket parts, engine choices, props, etc. for the plane which is always a bonus!!

The toughest decision for me was either the 7 or the 7A. I'm still agonizing if I made the right choice.

My selection process lasted 30+ years. Dad wanted a T-18. When Polen's Mustang was on the cover, I wanted one of those. The six cylinder Glasairs stole my heart in the 80's but I could not afford one so I came really close to ordering a Q-200 kit. Life changed, flying on hold, raised kids. Got back into flying and was flipping a coin between a Cozy and an RV. I wanted a glass bird but my shop was a full basement in the northeast. I knew my wife would not like the epoxy fumes in the winter, plus all the sanding dust. So..metal it was and is.

It might also be helpful to look at resale values of various planes. Not that you build with the intent of selling, but I think it's a pretty fair measure of a plane's value.

I looked at the Velocity. They're pretty cool, but they seem to need more (and better) runway than I thought I'd have everywhere I wanted to fly. I didn't like the landing speed/distance or climb performance as much as the RV. I also am not a big fiberglass fan, and the baggage space seemed to be very limited.

I looked at the Glasair Sportsman. I REALLY like the 1000# useful load, and I might even be willing to give up the cruise speed to get it. But honestly I like the look of a low wing airplane better... and they are certainly not cheap to build. Cavernous area for packing bags though. If I couldn't have an RV it would probably be my second choice.

More recently, when I was thinking of going LSA, I looked at the Bearcat LSA. The kit offered is kind of bare bones - buy the kit, then figure out all the hardware and parts you need that you don't have, then go buy all that, rinse, repeat.

Nothing that I looked at was going to cost less in terms of cash or time or work than the RV7. And none of them would do what the RV7 will.

(Fiberglass planes can only be primarily white)

Is this accurate? Isn't the Cirrus fiberglass? Perhaps they use some sort of process - always thought they were painted. I've always really liked their schemes on the newer planes.

f8320a13947b1601b3ee3248739a36be.jpg

Last edited:
Why is this?

Greg

Temperatures. If glass airplanes get hot, the structure weakens. So you paint them white so they stay cooler sitting out on the ramp in a sunny/warm climate. There is a very large temperature difference between a white airplane and a dark airplane in those circumstances.

Welcome

Welcome to VAF. Mike Starkey must be washing his welcome apron:) You'll get it later:D

There are several planes that will fulfill the mission of the RV line. For me, I wanted a financially secure company with many airframes out there. Van's is the only one that really fits the bill. When it comes to building, you want to have the ability to look at someone else's project while you are building yours. When you can see the airframe the answers become clear.

Finally, I love the looks of the RV line, especially tail draggers. The RV is the "Harley of the Skies." We are a family, a fraternity, a brotherhood and sisterhood. Not sure you'll find this close knit aspect with other planes. Now, having built 1 3/4 7's, I can now tell you it is about the people. Visit Oshkosh and you'll completely understand.

On the OP's Q, when I bought my RV, the bud I bought it from told me something that has rung true throughout. There are perhaps no other aircraft out there that do as many different things as well as an RV or Rocket. It just hits on more cylinders that about anything else, truly!

As also has been said, the community is unbelievable, and being a part of it has been a life-changer in more ways than can be described. The circle of friends grows as fast as the plane will get you down the road! My wife thinks I'm having an affair with the UPS gal, but other than that... :p

Welcome aboard!

As for the color Q on glass...

(Fiberglass planes can only be primarily white)

Why is this?

Greg

Is this accurate? Isn't the Cirrus fiberglass? Perhaps they use some sort of process - always thought they were painted. I've always really liked their schemes on the newer planes.

f8320a13947b1601b3ee3248739a36be.jpg

Temperatures. If glass airplanes get hot, the structure weakens. So you paint them white so they stay cooler sitting out on the ramp in a sunny/warm climate. There is a very large temperature difference between a white airplane and a dark airplane in those circumstances.

Kyle's correct, it's all about the temperature. I looked into this for a side-project in the mill, and sought the corporate knowledge of several of the Sport Class racers with fast glass. Most have white aircraft, though some have used dark colors or have dark areas in their paint scheme...even on the wings, where structural strength after sitting in the sun is a big factor. Those I spoke with, some with Scaled Composites experience, said it primarily comes down to materials and curing method. There are resins and hardeners that can be cured at high enough temps that the final product won't reach the curing temp in the sun, even if painted a dark color. I was told about materials that needed to be refrigerated until use, with very specific utilization methods and layup processes. Very expensive and finicky stuff, from the sound of it. It can be done, at a cost of time, money and commitment to process. I'm betting those Cirrus wings are light silver on top...though Cirrus may use some of those high-end processes too.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

I'm betting those Cirrus wings are light silver on top...though Cirrus may use some of those high-end processes too.

Good info, Kyle. And yes, Bob, you're right. All the recent Cirrus schemes (and TTX) I've seen are silver base with perhaps a narrow band of color on the wing. And yes, that band is generally a lighter color.

All,

Thanks so much for all the answers. I pretty much narrowed it down between the Vans or Soex (for affordability). The only thing that turns me off about the Sonex is the size. Im not the biggest guy (6' 200#) but that plane looks really small. If I were flying alone the sonex would probably be number 1, but the wife will want to tag along when I go on vacation! I want to be semi comfortable when I do, so that puts Vans as my first choice.

Also, the community is also a major plus. I didn't expect to get so many responses in 24 hrs...I know that I will be able to get any question I need answered.

I didn't see a new member introduction page so i will take this opportunity. I am currently Active Duty Air Force, been in for a little over 5 years. I am a developmental engineer for the Air Force and graduated from the University of Alabama (Roll Tide) with a degree in mechanical engineering. I have been able to do some pretty cool things over the last 5 years. I have gotten the chance to fly in a KC-135 and refuel some F-22's and i was also fortunate enough to get ~2 hours in a F-15. Thats just a short introduction about me, but i'm looking forward getting to know everyone.

I'm still looking for my first ride in a Vans, so if anyone is ever around Montgomery, Al let me know!

thanks again for all the help so far!!!

Last edited:
Thank you

Hawk
Thank you for your service.
Take a ride in an RV. Most expensive ride you'll ever take. :D

The Sonex isn't really all that cheaper to build, the airframe cost is not too far off the RV 7, 8 or 9. The advertised savings are due to the AeroVee and the basic avionics. If you find a good deal on a motor and keep the avionics simple the price isn't too bad. There are some threads on here on the lowest cost completions.

With the RV's in our hangar, we have the "all-around performance" pretty well covered. We do have a couple of missions that just poke well out the side of the RV box, so for those, we need something special. A Xenos Motorglider is gestating in our hanagr now, for thsoe days when we want to burn just a little gas to get off the ground, then shut the motor down and surf the wave. And we have partnered in a Dream Tundra to give us a rough back country workhorse of a bush plane.

Different planes for different missions. Pick the one that does what you need it to do.

Before I purchased my 7A kit I seriously considered a Glasstar. It was pretty tempting to have ability to put it on floats, go tail wheel or nose gear, better back country camping capabilities, etc. but in the end the RV speed and aerobatic capabilities won me over. Well that and the way they fly. Once you get your hands on an RV stick and control the plane for a while you are hooked real solid:)

It might also be helpful to look at resale values of various planes. Not that you build with the intent of selling, but I think it's a pretty fair measure of a plane's value.

I think this is likely the best reason for choosing an RV. It factors in all of the other reasons into one. More builders out here to help, more flying planes, more insurance stats, more refined kits, etc.

Back