What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Specialty Tools

JJStines

I've seen Van's tool list but I would like to hear from the builders. What are the got to have tools to build an RV-12 assuming that a person would have a good set of general tools. I'm talking about the specialty tools that one wouldn't normally have in their garage.

bench top band saw
buffing wheels
2-3 die grinders, one 90 degree
small taps & dies
bench top drill press
belt sander / disc sander
large magnet on a stick (picking up rivet mandrels)
pneumatic rivet run, cleco gun, and rivet squeezer
wifi so you can get on VAF and ask questions
beer frig ;)

Last edited:
There are several really good threads on this with part numbers and links, taken from many folks experience. I suggest the search function will give you a LOT of useful info.

I haven?t started yet but am building the Vans tool box. I?m in my mid 50?s so I?ve been acquiring tools for a while and the only things I didn?t have were cleco pliers, clecos, dimplers and a squeezer. I could have built it with pulled rivets and not needed the squeezer or dimpler but I will need them when I start my real build.

I've seen Van's tool list but I would like to hear from the builders. What are the got to have tools to build an RV-12 assuming that a person would have a good set of general tools. I'm talking about the specialty tools that one wouldn't normally have in their garage.

See you PMs. Send me your e-mail address and will send you a spreadsheet I put together for another builder.

Back