What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dimpling

JRo

Well Known Member
Got my first RV-12 subkit (the tail) 4 days ago, have begun vertical stab. So far, so good. Almost ready for skin. Directions now call for dimpling. I have the Cleveland "Main Squeeze" and several dimple die sets. My problem is: the Main Squeeze only has one side (on the push rod) to insert a die; the yoke only has a flat surface which won't receive the other die. Am I missing a tool or tool part? How do I proceed?

Thanks,

Jim
RV-12 newbie

Arnie,

Thanks!The main squeeze is the only squeezer that came with Cleveland's kit, and the "no-hole" yoke seems to be the only yoke. Is there another way to dimple? I will order another yoke in the meanwhile...

Jim

I just bought the dimple dies from Avery that use a rivet puller, they work really nice and are not too expensive.

Arnie,

Thanks!The main squeeze is the only squeezer that came with Cleveland's kit, and the "no-hole" yoke seems to be the only yoke. Is there another way to dimple? I will order another yoke in the meanwhile...

Jim

You can use a big C-frame for dimpling or the close-quarter dimpler as described above. In my opinion though, your best bet is a new yoke for your squeezer. That is, unless you have large parts that need dimples where the squeezer can't reach (I don't know what the -12 calls for in that department). Personally I hate using the close quarter dimpler and avoid it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Arnie,

Jim

Call Cleaveland. Mine came with a 4 inch yoke set up for dimpling. It may have been a mistake.

Looks like we shipped you the wrong yoke. I am sending another.

-

Last edited:
squeezer yoke from Cleveland

Found the problem with the "Main Squeeze": Just as I was hopping into my old 172 to fly to Schenectady and borrow a squeezer from my A&P, Cleveland Tools called my cell to say they had mistakenly sent the wrong (no hole) yoke with my squeezer, that they were shipping the correct yoke (that accepts the other half of dimple die) and a paid return shipping for the no hole yoke. Thanks for your response(s).

Jim
RV-12 empennage 10%

Cleveland Tools called my cell to say they had mistakenly sent the wrong (no hole) yoke with my squeezer, that they were shipping the correct yoke (that accepts the other half of dimple die) and a paid return shipping for the no hole yoke.

Again, and again, and again, Mike Lauritsen and Cleaveland Tools have proven they are a class act. What a top-notch business! Between Cleaveland and Avery, we have an abundance of riches, my friends. Other tool companies aren't bad, and are sometimes a little cheaper, but these two have earned my business.

--
Stephen

Keep the no-hole yoke and send Cleaveland a check for it. You'll end up wanting (needing) it in the future. I find mine quite useful!

Back