What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Dover AFB - Looking for RV folks in the area

skybum02

I'm New Here
Hi, I'm active duty Air Force and right now I'm an IP in the T-6 Texan II at Vance AFB, OK and moving on to fly the C-5 Galaxy at Dover AFB. I'm new to the RV bug and I'm moving to the Northern DE area in a month or so and looking forward to meeting other RV folks. I think RVs are sexy and practical. The C-5 is great but...

I love flying small aircraft, flying formation, flying VFR, going to fly-ins and would like to buy a completed RV6 or 7 to fulfill that mission. Also since I'll be an uncle soon to twins in FL... I'd like something that can go XC fast and fuel efficient.

While stationed here at Vance AFB, I've flown in an RV-8 but would like to meet enthusiasts in the Dover, DE area. I'm also not against a partnership in a RV either! I'm getting my tail-wheel endorsement in a Super Decathlon.

One of the problems I think I'll have is finding hangar space near Dover... but my friends have me convinced to buy the RV and worry about the details of finding a home later. Does anyone know of available hangar space near Dover? I've seen a few RVs shoehorned into a tight space is there any hangar sharing options open? I've looked at Delaware Airpark and Summit Airport for basing options.

Looking forward to making new friends!

Blue Skies,
Steve

Welcome to Eastern Shore (although, those of us in Virginia think the "upper section" should carry an astric :D )

There a a number of RV's north south and west of you. When you start flying we'll start to come out of the wood work! I'm less than an "RV hour" south of you.

Keep us updated on your search !

I just saw a flyer hanging up at a local airport which was an ad for Chorman field (a AG spray co.) which is located at:

Allen Chorman & Son, Inc.

30475 East Mill Run

Milton, DE 19968

Phone: (302) 684-2770

The ad had a list of open hanger space avilable. I belive they have a grass and a paved runway there and they are not to far out of Dover. I have been flying the Delmarva area all my lfe and I have found that most public airports run about a 3 to 6 year waiting list for hanger space. You will most likley have to seek out a private hanger from a privately owned strip like the one listed above. I also know that they are more then a few exprimental plane guys in the Delaware area and most of them fly off of private grass strips. There is a private strip in the Ellendale, DE area that has a Sonex, Rans S-6, Zenith 701 etc. Those guys are great and I will attempt to find their contact number and shoot it your way if they have any openings.

All good info --- many THANKS!

No kidding I'll be flying a hangar and can take it with me. I even asked the base Aero Club if they had hangar space and no joy.

I've been to 33N and was greeted by a very nice RV6A owner, had a RV6 prior and wished he had it back.:) There were some RVs' there and it is a very nice place with a fairly new Terminal, Larry

I have a RV6A - at Laurel, DE (N06). Welcome! Thanks for your continued service from a retired Marine! I'll ask about hangar space there if you want - but it'll be a longer drive than Chorman......
Ralph

Welcome

Hi Steve,

There are a bunch of us RVers in the Mid-Atlantic area that get together on weekends and do some formation work; you are welcome to join us once you get your RV and get settled in. We are spread out at various airports but the RVs speed makes it a short trip to a central airport meeting place. I'm based at Essex Skypark in Maryland. We have two at Gaithersburg, MD, one at Carroll County, MD, a couple in Easton, one in Pottstown, PA. Check out my webpage if you want to get a feel for all the fun things to do in an RV in this area. I think you will love flying around the DelMarVa peninsula!

Regards, Bill

Last edited:
Moving to delaware

There is also an EAA chapter that just started in Middletown,de. We don't have our chapter number yet, but should have it this month. Next meeting is December 8th. Somebody there always has the latest info on the local flying scene.

Back