What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap electronic altimeter

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I need to replace my Van's (falcon?) altimeter. It has been slowly dying - I've been needing to frequently recalibrate it to keep it matching my spot on Dynon D10A.

I'm a little out of touch with the current market for 3 1/8" instruments. Before I just buy another altimeter from Van's does anyone have recommendations on a not super expensive replacement that could provide more functionality?

My requirements:
  • I don't fly IFR but I'd like to learn at some point. I originally decided on steam gauge VS+airspeed+altimeter as alternative/backups for the D10A and I've been happy with them.
  • That said, I'd consider replacing all three of my steam gauges with a single electronic instrument if it wasn't too expensive.
  • My D10A has an internal battery backup, but if I replaced my steam gauges it would be extra cool if the replacement also had backup power.
  • I have an altrack + pictorial pilot from TruTrak so I already have a basic 2 axis autopilot.

So, does anyone have recommendations on options? I'm hoping some current builder has been carefully monitoring the options and might give me some ideas. :D

I would stick to the mechanical gauges as backup instruments, a backup battery does does not resolve all electrical issues. Maybe I'm just old fashoned but I just like to keep things simple.

Back