VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Default 6 Month Update 10/16/17

Updated all of the dead photobucket links. Here's hoping halie.com sticks around a while.....

Good time for an update to this thread. Been flying for about 6 months during which this -6a has accumulated around 70 flight hours, successfully carried the DPE and I for my private checkride, and been an all around blast to fly!
My incessant fiddling led to a prop change early on from the standard Sensenich to a Catto 3-blade. More info on that can be found in the forum. Suffice it to say that they both pretty much perform about the same, but the Catto is smoother and climbs better where the Sensi. was a couple of knots faster on the top end. A month or so ago during a week that it was miserable hot and no fun to fly, I finally got around to painting the Catto spinner. You've never really committed to a prop until you've painted the spinner to match the plane...

I also took the opportunity to make a fairing for the nose gear leg-to-cowling interface and paint it as well. Really cleans things up and gives it the finished look it needs.

Engine broke in really nicely, and uses almost no oil between changes (Maybe a half quart in 25 hours). Compressions are fantastic, temps consistent and pretty even across the cylinders, and no leaks thus far. All-in-all, I couldn't be more pleased.

The flightline seats are quite comfortable, although the longest I've sat in one stretch is about 2 hours. The "almost a 14" mod has enabled me to fly with some pretty big guys in complete comfort. Still learning the grt efis, and still amazed at its capability each time I learn about a new feature. The autopilot is fantastic! I still find the iPad a little quicker and more intuitive when it comes to flight planning.

Last edited by j-red : 10-16-2017 at 09:26 PM.