What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Welp, I think I want an RV.

Pilot41

So, after reading as many posts about RVs on here as time allowed, I've been moved considerably closer to being a future RV buyer. I don't want to build yet at this point in my life, but I think I want to find a really, really nice used one. It will not be my first airplane nor my first experimental.

I'm really overwhelmed with the amount of information here (that's a compliment) so forgive me if asking these questions is a nuisance to you guys in any way.

Problems I'm having before pulling the purchase trigger:

-Will I be able to learn how to fly it? I'm nervous about high performance taildraggers but I'm really good with a cub and a champ. In Florida, do any of you know the locations of known transition training folks? I saw one down in Okeechobee online but that's quite a looong drive for me. If I go for a -4, how will I get that "dual/time in TYPE" that we know insurance is going to require, when 99% of -4s seem to have no dual brakes? I thought I read that some insurance guys accept dual in a -6 or something as time in type but... seems very YMMV.

-How do I know I'm even going to like the thing? Will one demo flight with a potential seller be enough to tell me the whole story of whether it's what I want or not, and if so, how do I know that it's a "good" (so to say) RV by flight characteristics, and what are any in-flight "red flags" I should watch out for?

-I really like the idea of tandem seating, I like the feel of being on the center of the plane, and I'm sure the -4 is the right choice for someone who wants to do easy, gentile acro, some VFR XC, and sight seeing, right? Will I feel let down? What if I wanna go faster? Should I just save up and get an -8 or am I underestimating the little guy?

ETA-- I weigh next to nothing. Will CG be a big problem if I wanna take pax?

Oh please help. Lol. :eek:

where exactly in FL? If If you're close to me there's a 4, 6, 8, 8A, 7, and 9A all close that I'm sure we could get you into.

Insurance will likely accept time in a tandem of similar lineage - my company accepted training time in a 10 for my coverage of my 9A. I think it likely they would accept time in a 8.

I am not flying my plane yet, but got my tailwheel sign off in a champ, and then flew with Mike Seager in Or. Yes it is a big step in performance, but the TO/ landings were easier to perform in the RV7. I was worried about handling characteristics but did not find it daunting.

Do your homework, building is a heck of a lot of research, do that for selecting your purchase, and keep learning all about the details of the planes construction and handling. I say construction unless you will take it to an experienced RV guy for maintenance. Do get that type of experience in a pretty inspection to ensure you are flying in a known safe aircraft.

Welcome to Vans Air Force!! The learning zone.

With respect to the transition training, I did mine with Jan in okeechobee and it was well worth the drive. There aren't too many options, so many of us have to travel a bit for that part. Again, Jan was well worth the time for me. I stayed at a Hampton in about 25 minutes from his place for a few nights.

Chris

Timberwolf, I'm a bit of a ways away in the Orlando area, thanks though! :)

airguy, thanks for the reply, that's good news. I hope I have the same experience with my insurance guys.

BillL, that is comforting! I'm happy to hear the takeoffs and landings aren't too bad. Also, I will definitely take your advice and get well educated on RV construction. Thanks for the welcome. :D

YellowJacket, ok, cool, I'll definitely consider doing what you did and just get a hotel there if he's that good. Sounds totally worth it.

Depending on where you are in FL, go spend some time with Jan Bussell. He has a 6A and a 6. Good guy.

I also did transition training with Mike Seagar in Oregon. Used the -7 mostly but put a little time in the -6A to get used to the constant speed prop.

The insurance company accepted that time to qualify me in the -4. I did tons of circuits, day and night in the -4. It was a fun airplane.

A couple things

If you are good in a Champ and Cub, you will have no problem with a -4. I went from a Taylorcraft into my -4 (I built) with no worries. I recently helped get a zero TW time friend into a -8 by installing rear rudder pedals, which enabled him to get TW training...he is now loving the -8. The RV's are great machines with very few surprises in store. Be prepared to smile wide and often. I am 205 lbs, and will carry up to a 200 lb. PAX in my -4 with no problems , however, stick forces are very light and require a gentle hand. You will surely be able to find a FLa. based RV expert that can guide you in finding a nice used RV, so get shopping!

Thanks so much for the responses, guys, and thanks for the welcome, Mike!
It's definitely good to know a champ/cub is good preparation for the -4 because I have lots of time in them and am very comfortable. :D

I'm gonna go get to work and find myself an RV!

Back