What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun glasses & headsets

g zero

Well Known Member
I have upgrade from my old David Clarks to Harmon Kardon noise canceling headset . It's really sensitive to sun glass arms . I see Flying Eyes are designed with paper thin arms but start at $160 . What are others doing ???

Do they offer different ear seals? I wear plain $10 sunglasses with my Bose and there's no difference in sound/noise cancellation with or without the glasses on.

Do they offer different ear seals? I wear plain $10 sunglasses with my Bose and there's no difference in sound/noise cancellation with or without the glasses on.

Agreed. I wear the Zulu's over my thick glasses as well. No issues.

I wear Serengetti sunglasses which have flat arms and when I used my Bose headset, no problems. I now use Clarity Aloft headsets and definitely no squeeze problems.

For years I got those titanium flex frames and really worked well with my David Clark noise cancelling head sets.

Years ago David Clark used to sell thin foam diamond shaped wedges, with a hole thru them (the long way). Put your eyeglass ear piece thru the hole, the foam padded and sealed against your head and the headset.

Maui Jim

I have Maui Jim Peahi which are approx 5mm (~.25") thick on the triggers which are very comfortable under the Bose A20's.

They are significantly more expensive but once you've flown with them you probably won't fly with anything else.

I fly for a living, and HATE when I don't have my Serengetti Velocity's with me.

Even in an RJ, I use a DC H10-13.4 that I bought 20+ years ago. I bend the arms on the glasses a bit so they fit right next to my head, and the gel ear cups of the headset seal perfectly.

Check out flightsunglasses.com
I don't know him other than I've bought several pair and he has always been great with pricing and service.

FWIW, I went to Walmart Vision and bought a cheap ($9.00) frame that was super thin. Then I had them make non-polarized lenses with my prescription (tri-focal) and the amount of darkness I like. I got exactly what I wanted and LOVE them so much I had a second set made. One set stays in the airplane while I use the other for everything else.

You can also make an "in the ear" headset for about $50.00 and use any kind of sunglasses.

:cool:

Last edited:
FlightSunglasses.com

I just talked to Steve at FlightSunglasses.com. He was extremely helpful in picking out just the right pair of Serengeti sunglasses. Thanks for the recommendation.

I would go with these:

over%2Bthe%2Btop%2Bplasma%2B%252B%2Bice%2Biridium%2Boakley%2Bjoe%2B%25283%2529.JPG

(Image linked from the interwebs. not mine)

Maybe I'm Just Old

When I used headsets in the Air Force that either didn't fit well over my cool sun glasses or wanted a little more comfort I purchased elastic cloth wrist bands and placed them around my ear cups on the headset. Worked great and kept the sweat away.

With my LightSpeed ANR Headset the ear cups are comfortable with or without glasses. Besides, who needs to hear! (What did you say? Speak Louder!)

Back