What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 w/ Heavy Crush Plate and Catto Spinner

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Is anyone using a Catto prop and Catto spinner with the Saber heavy crush plate? I pulled mine out of the box and the Catto spinner has a center post that is supposed to go into the prop center hole however the heavy crush plate does not have a hole in it. Is there a different Catto spinner or heavy crush plate with a hole?

I have an email into Catto but wanted to know what others have done.

Thanks,
John

I have the Catto 3 blade prop with 20 lb crush plate. The crush plate goes on the front of the prop, on top of the aluminum crush plate. You'll need to fit the forward spinner bulkhead in there too. I think mine is either in front of or behind the aluminum crush plate. My spinner does NOT have a center post. It is the one from Vans, I think. Might have come from Catto, though.

Catto Spinner

I also have the Catto 3 bladed prop, the spinner plus the 20lb crush plate. My Technical Counsellor has a nice little machine shop and he machined a hole in the centre of the weight the same size as the hole in the propellor. This allows the spinner to fit very nicely through it and into the propellor centre to locate the spinner properly.

My project is still under construction so I haven't performed my weight and balance yet so I am not sure of the impact that removing the material from the weight by machining the hole will have on this process.

I talked to Catto and they want me to send the spinner back so they can grind down the center post to fit against the thick crush plate and will install a forward bulkhead in the spinner to nest with the crush plate as well.

Thanks

Back