VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Magneto Wiring

I am building my RV-10 with a single magneto and a single SDS EI. Each has a separate toggle switch and a push to start, so no key switch.

When I started looking at the Z 12 diagram I realized that the magneto switch is nothing more than a 20 gauge shielded wire with the conductor to the P lead and the shield to the ground? On the switch end the conductor and the ground connect to the switch? Nothing more?

I have read and understand the P lead is connected to ground when the mag is off and when in the On position the P lead is no longer connected to ground.

Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 09:04 PM

That's about it as long as you have an impulse mag. If not, then you will need to wire a ground parallel to the start switch that will ground the mag during the start process if you forget and have the mag switched to on.

The mag switch must be installed upside down so off will be down even though the switch will be closed in the down position. Your SDS switch will be open in the down position.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 PM

Thanks Gasman.

It is a Slick 6351 which I believe is an impulse mag based on a quick google search.

E
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 PM

Be sure to install the mag switch upside down. Then up/on should provide an open connection and down/off closes the contact. Don't know how SDS does this, so can't advise.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-08-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Be sure to install the mag switch upside down. Then up/on should provide an open connection and down/off closes the contact. Don't know how SDS does this, so can't advise.

Larry
Mounting "upside down" is a bit of a confusing term when looking at the AeroElectric Z diagrams since all of the switches shown have both NO (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) terminals.

Just mount all of the switches the same way up and follow the terminal numbers shown on the schematic. They will then work just like the statement in the OP.

When I started looking at the Z 12 diagram I realized that the magneto switch is nothing more than a 20 gauge shielded wire with the conductor to the P lead and the shield to the ground? On the switch end the conductor and the ground connect to the switch? Nothing more?

I have read and understand the P lead is connected to ground when the mag is off and when in the On position the P lead is no longer connected to ground.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 AM

And please don't leave the p-lead hanging from a crimped ring terminal.