What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carr Fire, Benton Airpark, Redding, CA

azrv6

Well Known Member
The Carr Fire northwest of Redding looks terrible and appears to be getting close to Benton Airpark. Many evacuations ordered. Hoping all are safe and if planes need to be moved that they get out ok. Any RV's up there?

Prayers to all involved. I used to do some Calfire dozer work in another life when I was much younger. It can be scary to say the least. Most people don't realize the depth of destruction in a short period of time in a fire storm. It moves quickly with its own will and is as intensely ferocious and unforgiving as any other "natural disaster".

The fire passed around Benton field (it was a staging area) and the airport has survived the CARR fire.

We are south of the fire at 68CA...... It is heading our way.

Prayers to all involved. I used to do some Calfire dozer work in another life when I was much younger. It can be scary to say the least. Most people don't realize the depth of destruction in a short period of time in a fire storm. It moves quickly with its own will and is as intensely ferocious and unforgiving as any other "natural disaster".

I was up there, retired CalFire and filling in for them while some their operators went to the funeral for the other dozer operator fatality from last week. Initial attack until Wednesday 0200 when the dozer threw a code went into limp mode. Walked it down to the highway and home just before it all blew up.
To keep it airplane related, I?ve sold my plane and have an empty hangar at KRBL, for a few days at least. I think the eastward progress of the fire has been checked now and Benton will be ok. Sure hope so, this about the worst I?ve ever seen in my career. Doesn?t surpass last year at Santa Rosa yet thankfully.

retired CalFire

Yep, ex CDF myself.

Photo below of Calif and Nev, showing smoke trail.

37893737_10213764667165665_622245352786886656_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back