What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 10 question

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
My kit came without a fair amount of the finish kit components. One item I need soon is the elastomers that are sandwiched in the nose gear mount, J-11968-14.

The plans seem to depict 4 units in a stack with some associated shims/washers. The mothership lists them as

GEAR ELASTOMER -10
EA J-11968-14

$138.00

As packaged, do I need one of these, or four?

On a somewhat related note, Van's doesn't seem to sell a right-sided wire cover plate equivalent to the F-10110-L. Can this part be made to work on the right side if I decide I want two?

I believe four of them were shipped with my kit, but will need to double check. The ladies in the kit dept can look up the BOM to confirm.

I also wanted a wire cover for the right. They are assymetrical so the left won't work. Please let me know if you figure out an option for this.

Larry

My kit came without a fair amount of the finish kit components. One item I need soon is the elastomers that are sandwiched in the nose gear mount, J-11968-14.

The plans seem to depict 4 units in a stack with some associated shims/washers. The mothership lists them as

GEAR ELASTOMER -10
EA J-11968-14

$138.00

As packaged, do I need one of these, or four?

On a somewhat related note, Van's doesn't seem to sell a right-sided wire cover plate equivalent to the F-10110-L. Can this part be made to work on the right side if I decide I want two?

It's probably worth a call or email to confirm the quantity in that sku. You'll need four. Also, check out the service bulletin for some extra parts that you may not have depending on the age of your motor mount.

I can't answer your wire cover question. I attempted to look up that number in my copy of the plans, but couldn't find it. The wire cover that I assumed your were talking about had a different number. It's amazing how quickly you forgot all that stuff you had memorized while building after you are flying. But that's probably a good thing..........

I can't answer your wire cover question. I attempted to look up that number in my copy of the plans, but couldn't find it. The wire cover that I assumed your were talking about had a different number. It's amazing how quickly you forgot all that stuff you had memorized while building after you are flying. But that's probably a good thing..........

If you are using the Aerosport interior kit, or something similar, you won't need a wire cover on either side. The trim panel covers up the wiring.

The wiring cover is shown on OP37-6.

As Bob said, you won?t need them if you use an aftermarket front interior panel. Also, it wouldn?t be the first time I?ve called Vans and had the webmaster fix their online parts for sale lists.

If you really want them, I believe mine are laying on a shelf in the hangar.

If you are using the Aerosport interior kit, or something similar, you won't need a wire cover on either side. The trim panel covers up the wiring.

The wiring cover is shown on OP37-6.

When I looked, that page only shows the left and does not mention a cover for the right.

When I looked, that page only shows the left and does not mention a cover for the right.

Yes, I was answering Bob's comment that he couldn't find it on the plans...:)

But buy the Aerosport interior, it will look nicer and cover a lot of wiring in all of the side panels. Vans wiring cover was designed for the pretty minimalist electrical system shown in OP-37.

Last edited:
I think I will buy an aftermarket interior eventually, Gil. But not just yet. My plan is to get this thing flying in a few years in a minimalist configuration and add-to-taste from there.

Side panels only

I think I will buy an aftermarket interior eventually, Gil. But not just yet. My plan is to get this thing flying in a few years in a minimalist configuration and add-to-taste from there.

Looking at the Aerosport parts I have it seems that just putting in only the side panels at first may actually be less construction time. They seem to fit pretty well straight out of the box.

You can put them in plain now and cover/paint/dude-em-up later...:)

I also wanted the right side cover, so called Van's. They don't make one for the right side.

So I ordered some thin aluminum sheet from ACS and made my own. Measured the left side cover provided with my kit, and then drew the mirror image with all the dimensions. Transferred these dimensions to the sheet aluminum and cut it out. Then bent to the dimensions using the edge of my workbench for the long bends and sheet metal pliers for the smaller bends. The resulting cover may not be perfect, but it fits well and isn't noticeable as being different from the left cover. Wasn't as difficult to fabricate as I thought it would be.

Turns out I need four of the elastomers and they're sold individually. That's a painful chunk o' change. Fortunately, I can source them from Chief for $109 each, vice the $138 the mothership is asking.

I'm reaching the stage in the build where the peripherals and incidentals are becoming essential to continued progress. Wow, do those items add up fast. I wish I could score a discount on wheels, tires and brakes (Matco stuff) before next month. The outlay just around the corner will include large chunks to Cee Bailey, Desser, Matco and Chief... a nice warmup for Lycoming, Hartzell and Advanced Flight Systems :eek:

I have my left-side wire cover kit in hand; will investigate the feasibility of engineering a mirror image with hand tools/no sheet metal brake. Probably not excessive effort but we'll see.

Spent yesterday with my best friend from Richmond starting to close up the top of the tail cone. He's been wanting to come up for a long time to get a few licks in on this project. We got the wing walk stiffeners back-riveted, the engine mount bolts torqued, and two rows of J-stringers done on the top forward tail cone skin (say goodbye to easy access to the battery/servo bay, but it's time to move on, we've put this off as long as practical).

Lou Dawg has gotten his hands dirty on my RANS S-12 and my RV-6A over the past 25 years, and now he has a corner signature on the -10. Airplane building and Cuban cigars are not a bad way to spend a Saturday :) Today, we mow the runway. Again.

Last edited:
Back